• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

im so angry!U/D been for a second opinion

suzy_d

Alpha Buck
arrghhh :censored:

Just had the results back from Mollys abscess culture (which has taken TWO WEEKS) and its come back as 'sterile'... funny as its an abscess. My hope of changing the treatement from baytril to something stronger is now shattered as my vet is unwilling to change it now as the results say inconclusive. I'm no closer in finding what caused it and finding an appropriate antibiotic. Although the lab results are not my vets fault, I'm inclined to say they only took the culture of the abscess pus and not of the wall. My vets are excellent in caring for both me and my bunnies I just feel that I haven't done enough to try and properly treat Mollys abscess, as they are quite unadventurous when it comes to treating rabbit abscesses.

Any ideas what I can do next? Molly has been on baytril for 2 weeks and he only has another 3 days of it left, I am then told to monitor him. Feel like im banging my head against a brick wall, and all I want it the best for my bunny.

xx

If the Vet did not take a swab *from the abscess wall* but just sent some pus I am not at all surprised that the result came back 'sterile'. Rabbit pus often is.

Sorry, can you remind me where the abscess is :? Some abscesses contain both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Baytril is *ineffective* against anaerobes......
Metronidazole is effective and can be used aswell as Baytril.
Then there is the injectable Penicillins or the antibiotic impregnated beads which are stiched into the abscess capsule

Here are some links that may be useful for *your vet* to see

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/abscesses.htm

http://www.galensgarden.co.uk/herbivores/health/abscess.php

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo1.1.htm

Janex

Last edited:
the abscess was at the base of his ear, they have managed to remove the entire capsule but I know that baytril is pretty usless for treating abscesses in the head, because thats what he was on last time and it came back, so I am willing to try something else. My vet basically said that they wont be willing to try any other antibiotic now. So im really at a loss.

xx

the abscess was at the base of his ear, they have managed to remove the entire capsule but I know that baytril is pretty usless for treating abscesses in the head, because thats what he was on last time and it came back, so I am willing to try something else. My vet basically said that they wont be willing to try any other antibiotic now. So im really at a loss.

xx

Personally I would ask for a referal for a second opinion.
Has Molly had a skull Xray?

Janex

I would certainly find a different vet. It is common for abscesses to recur, in fact they are almost impossible to "cure". But they need treating and they need the right antibiotic. If it is just left it will get worse. You know this. Change your vet.

When Maa had her first head abscess the culture test recommended metronidazole, which cleared it up in a week. However several months later the abscess recurred, and this time the swab came back as sterile, much to our suprise. However the vet agreed to my request to use metronidazole again, and it cleared up permanently this time. Turned out the 2nd abscess had been a reaction to a couple of stitches left in from the original operation, which had failed to dissolve - so there weren't bacteria in there, just a 'foreign body' that her body was reacting to.

If your vet won't even consider giving metronidazole for a week then he's not a very reasonable person and I'd look for treatment elsewhere - you are paying!

Thanks for the advice guys, iv now got a consultation today to see a different vet (recommeded on here!) who when I spoke to on the phone would be wiling to talk about different treatement options so fingers crossed. I know that the abscess will almost *certainly* recur, just want to know I have done everything I can for my fluffy. Whos just taken a wee on my bed :roll:

Will keep you updated on what the vet says today

xx

After taking molly to a different vet and we went through all the options (took about an hour!) we decided to try him on INJECTABLE penicillin, once every 3 days. I'v been told the risks of Molly having *fatal* gut problems, but both myself and the vet feel that the injection is worth the risk. Hes home now, scoffing his food. Just got a quick question, iv been givin some PROMAX paste to help the gut bacteria, but, its too thick to syringe it into mollys mouth so iv had to put it on his food. Which he eats and then spits it out :roll: . I already have some pro-c probiotic from P@H, would it be sufficient if he just has this in his water, as the paste is not going to be eaten. OR would it be worth me going to get some bio lapis?

Thanks xx

After taking molly to a different vet and we went through all the options (took about an hour!) we decided to try him on INJECTABLE penicillin, once every 3 days. I'v been told the risks of Molly having *fatal* gut problems, but both myself and the vet feel that the injection is worth the risk. Hes home now, scoffing his food. Just got a quick question, iv been givin some PROMAX paste to help the gut bacteria, but, its too thick to syringe it into mollys mouth so iv had to put it on his food. Which he eats and then spits it out :roll: . I already have some pro-c probiotic from P@H, would it be sufficient if he just has this in his water, as the paste is not going to be eaten. OR would it be worth me going to get some bio lapis?

Thanks xx

I would advise you to ask the Vet about giving Molly Questran (Cholestyramine)

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

I would agree to any of my Buns having Injectable Penicillin if a Vet prescribed it but now I would insist they had Questran too

As for the probiotics I'd opt for Bio Lapis in the drinking water and also Fibreplex Paste

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/PROTEXINFIB15.html

I hope the Penicillin Injections help

Janex

Back