• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you remove ring around bunny's ankle?

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
We have just taken on Phoebe from ARC and are hoping she will bond with Richie, she came from a breeder,she is a big silver fox, when i say big i mean big, bigger than my bfs fully grown cat (she is overweight!) anyhow she has a ring on her ankle and it looks to be really tight and my mum is concerned it is digging in her leg because she keeps touching it all the time.
Can it be taken off and if so how?
Apologies if his has been asked before, I have searched for it but nothing came up.
Thanks in advance
x

Yes, I think breeders recommend using jewelers ring cutters. But tin snips would probably be just as good. Best to ask your vet to do it though as it's quite a delicate procedure. If she's not spayed then the vet can remove it whilst she's under (and not wriggling!) :)

Tam

Yes, I think breeders recommend using jewelers ring cutters. But tin snips would probably be just as good. Best to ask your vet to do it though as it's quite a delicate procedure. If she's not spayed then the vet can remove it whilst she's under (and not wriggling!) :)

Tam

Thank you, shes not spayed yet and can't be for a while because shes quite overweight :? I will ring the vet tomorrow.

If there is plenty of room and it turns easily leave it until she is speyed which will save any distress for her having it removed whilst awake.

A useless bit of information is that Christabel is not at the vets tomorrow, so would leave enquiring until she is back on Monday ;)

I have had them removed from conscious rabbits before without too much angst but if at all possible have it done under aneasthetic (I.e if she needs a spey etc.) as its less stressful to the bunny and less possibility of injury if they struggle.

Kelly my foster bunny had hers removed without anaesthetic at my local vets. Im not sure what the BRC rings are made of but they are very hard to cut through. My vets used a molar/bone drill and did it in stages over 45 minutes so not to stress Kelly out. I really hate BRC rings, whats the point of them !

Tin snips will cut it easily. You'll need to cut it off in 2 halves, so should take 4 cuts, 1 top one bottom on both sides. Just be careful as you cut that the other side doesn't move and start to dig in. Maybe wrap her in a towel whilst doing it so she can't kick out. Some breeds you can just wet the foot and the ring will slide right off, but D rings that Silver Foxes use are a bit small so that probably won't work. Its a 2 person job although I have done it on my own before.

The rings are to identify the rabbit so that it can be registered for showing, the alternative is to tattoo int he ears like they do on the continent - I think rings are a bit more humane, but higher maintence. Swings and roundabouts I guess..

I would agree with leaving it if you can. You mention she is overweight so it might be better it came off sooner rather than later but if it's not tight I'd leave it til you get her spayed because a) it's a lot less stress for the bun and b) cheaper for you. I know my friend got charged a fair bit for having hers taken off whereas my vet choped it off whilst spaying and did it for free.

My vets also removed it in two halves rater than make a single slit and bend it.

It really was bu**er to cut through :?

If there is plenty of room and it turns easily leave it until she is speyed which will save any distress for her having it removed whilst awake.

A useless bit of information is that Christabel is not at the vets tomorrow, so would leave enquiring until she is back on Monday ;)

Wish I had seen what you said ealier Janice, I called the vet this orn and the receptionist told me to come at 6, so I did, it was awful I idn't like the person I saw at all, they grabbed Phoebe by the scruff of the neck and yanked her out of the carrier, then used wire cutters ti get it off, I said don't worry leave it as I thought she was in distress but they cut it off eventually anyway :roll: :roll:
I won't be going there again unless I know its definately not that person!

Wish I had seen what you said ealier Janice, I called the vet this orn and the receptionist told me to come at 6, so I did, it was awful I idn't like the person I saw at all, they grabbed Phoebe by the scruff of the neck and yanked her out of the carrier, then used wire cutters ti get it off, I said don't worry leave it as I thought she was in distress but they cut it off eventually anyway :roll: :roll:
I won't be going there again unless I know its definately not that person!

Oh dear. I only met the other vet once, but decided to make sure that Christabel is there, before I make an appointment. I hope Phoebe has calmed down again and is happy to be without that stupid ring. :D

Back