• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how often do you clean out the bun cage??

How long do you wait to clean out "the hutch" (dum dum dum..!)

• 1-2 days

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • 3-4 days

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • 5-6 days

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 1 week

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • 1 week+ / not often at all... (house bun or spend most of the time in the grass)

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters

LittleBunniesRock

Warren Scout
Thought this would be an interesting question as I just got back in from cleaning out their run/ hutch (Whoa!)... I had to wait AGES to clean it out because I have been sooo busy lately!

I usually wait about a week between cleans... They have a 6x5 run attached to their 5x1 hutch inside on the garage floor... sometimes It pushes that week, sometimes not, :oops: but I try.

(I don't mean like clean out the litter, i mean like take all hay out, clean out all poo, wipe/ spray it all down, etc etc) ;)

:wave:

not very often tbh. daily i do the tray and sweep the floor but other than that i very rarely take all their cage litter out and move stuff etc etc....i think the last time i did a full good clean was a good fe weeks back now but they just dont need it they are clean bunnies :lol:

i put 1 week.... in Alvins room his carpet will get vaccumed once to twice a week depending on how much the mess bothers me... i try to keep it messy with hay all over the way he likes it, but ewww lol

i change the newspaper in the crate about once a week too

litter trays (1 in his room and one in the living room) are changed everyother day usually if im not completely knackered from an evil day at work....

Litter trays are changed every 2/3 days, whole enclosures swept out once a week.

I do the 2 play houses weekly or sooner if needed( which they do at the moment as the babies have no idea of how to use the litter tray :roll: ) and the 3 hutches 3-4 days. I'm looking forward to when the babies have gone to there new homes and everyone is neutered/spayed and bonded and i only have the 2 playhouse and 1 hutch :D

Miles, Miffy, China and Rocket I clean out very 3-4 days because they have a huge dog crate with a run attached. Their litter tray is emptied every 2 days and the whole thing is wiped down with disinfectant every 4 days. Benny and Domino are cleaned out every week because they're in a large hutch, and the piggies are also cleaned out once a week.

AMETHYST

With my present buns they're house rabbits; so they have litter trays cleaned out every 2 - 3 days.

My first rabbits were hutch-rabbits; and I cleaned them out at least twice a week.

I think it depends on the rabbits and how much they um...produce and also for outside buns the weather too.

I do mine every day in summer. It makes the work easier as only takes about 20 minutes to do both sets, whereas if i left it to once or twice a week the buns would has made a hell of a mess! :lol: In winter i do it about 3 or 4 times a week, but sweep out and change litter trays every day.

Flopsy's hutch is carpeted so it gets brushed out once a week to get the loose hay out.

His litter tray I do every day as he only uses one (has two trays but just prefers 1) and he even poos in it.:D

He is a very clean, houseproud bunny and has a very happy mummy.:lol:

Jack and Taz - Litter trays once a day, sweep shed floor twice a day, and a proper clean out once a week. To be honest though, their hutch is never messy, just has hay everywhere, so probably could last longer.

Still working on a routine with Libby, but a quick clean up of poo/leftover food :)lol: ) everyday, probably big clean out once a week. Sweep her run everyday :wave:

I clean my hutches and trays out every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. The biggest gap is three days :D I wash out all trays weekly :D

I clean my hutches and trays out every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. The biggest gap is three days :D I wash out all trays weekly :D

Spooky..I clean my hutches every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday too! :shock: :lol: Occasionally I get a bit out of routine (like this Tuesday when I was away for the day) but on the whole it works really well :thumb: I'm a creature of habit!

how often

All our bunnies + the rspca ones get a complete change 3 times per week, Monday morning,Wednesday morning and Friday afternoon.

We work on a complete tray system.Each 20x16inch tray is ribbed on the bottom,has a complete edition of a newspaper in the base and is then covered with approx 4-5 inches of good quality hay. The used trays are emptied, washed and stacked to dry whilst a second set are used in the runs. We allow approx 6 trays per bunny/pair and obviously alternate between the two(or three) sets. The runs are galvanised steel, indoors, tiled and washed between occupants.

As you can imagine it is necessary to do this to prevent the spread of any disease or infection between subsequent occupants.

This system works well for us and we can thoroughly recommend it.

I do a big clean on Saturday Morning when everyone's cleaned out thoroughly. I also do nail clipping, health checks etc at the same time. Litter trays get dealt with as they start to ming:? !!

Ours are house rabbits but their room gets cleaned out at least once a week depending on how messy he is. Hopefully now that he is no longer a bachelor!!! :lol:

Back