• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

evaluation of first meeting

Ida

Warren Scout
My adult neutered male has just met his new girl friend who is about nine weeks old. They met on neutral ground and I was sitting in the run with them. When I put the male in the run the baby ran right over to him for a cuddle. But he wanted some thing else, he mounted her (wrong way) and tried mating with her. I pulled him off and along came a tuft of fur. She ran away from him, but came back. He tried the same once more, and I pulled him off again. After that I just sat in the run and stroked him so he would'nt do anything. But he did try a few times. What do you think? I get very nervous.. Should I let him carry on? Is this a good start?

Perfect start :) The mounting is a rabbits way of saying "I'm boss". Sometimes they'll pull a tuft of fur at the same time. It's best to let him do it so they can get passed that stage. If she lets him he'll soon get bored and it will gradually decrease.

Tamsin

When pairing up rabbits it is best to bond in one session rather than do smaller sessions. This sounds all perfectly normal and all positive. Just keep with it and you will have two happy buns before too long.

How long will it approximately take to bond in one session? Should I wait till I have time off from school and work for a whole day for example? In that case I have to wait until next weekend. Is it worth the wait? :rolleyes:

How long will it approximately take to bond in one session? Should I wait till I have time off from school and work for a whole day for example? In that case I have to wait until next weekend. Is it worth the wait? :rolleyes:

Definately suggest waiting for the weekend so you can just start and get going on it. It is more stressful for buns to keep pairing and separating, than just to start and then keep them together.

Good luck

I tried having them together today after work because then they would have 6-7 hours to become friends, and I recond thats enough. But the little girl became frightened of my male when he just tried mounting her all the time. He hung on to her while she tried to run away and making low sounds. After a long time I decided to seperate them again because he would'nt give up and she was scared of him. How long does it take for him to give it up? I'm really scared they wont get along. I tried giving the loads of hay on the floor for them to eat and change focus, and I tried the banana trick.

I think you will need more than 6 or 7 hours :D I would only start bonding if you have 3 - 4 spare days to supervise them :D x

I think you will need more than 6 or 7 hours :D I would only start bonding if you have 3 - 4 spare days to supervise them :D x

Totally agree. If you separate them, he will start again when he is put back with her. Whilst bonding rabbits can be quite stressful, it is more stressful to separate them and then have to put them together again. If they are put together one needs to submit so they can sort out who is the boss.

Thanks for your replies. Do they need to be on neutral ground for 3-4 days? When should I sleep? :lol:

I did not want to seperate them, I got the point about them getting stressed and repeating the behavior next time. But what about the baby bunny getting scared and pulled in her neck? Could this lead to her not liking him, she was a bit scared, stamping and trying to hide.. That's why I seperated them. Is there nothing I can do to prevent this, is it normal for the male to not stop mounting the babies and scaring them?

By the way, I never have three or four spare days, two at the most :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Do they need to be on neutral ground for 3-4 days? When should I sleep? :lol:

I did not want to seperate them, I got the point about them getting stressed and repeating the behavior next time. But what about the baby bunny getting scared and pulled in her neck? Could this lead to her not liking him, she was a bit scared, stamping and trying to hide.. That's why I seperated them. Is there nothing I can do to prevent this, is it normal for the male to not stop mounting the babies and scaring them?

By the way, I never have three or four spare days, two at the most :lol:

I went 4 days without sleeping when I introduced Buu and Beau :shock: :lol: If you dont have more than two days I assume you mean the weekend? I would start Friday night then :D I have used up all my holiday so when it comes to Buu and Beau moving outside together I will call in sick on the monday just so I have an extra day of watching them :oops: :lol:

I've now arranged for ruffen, milla and me to go visit my mum this weekend so they wont be as comfortable and close to home :lol: Then they will have from friday afternoon till sunday evening. But I'm afraid I can't watch them all night. It's impossible for me to stay awake to nights in a row and then have a full week of school and work.. :roll: I can't imagine any one can.

Any one have any opinions on how to react to the chasing and my little nine week old baby getting scared, making sounds and trying to run away, while ruffen hangs in her neck skin by his teeth?

I can't see her going off him for what is normal rabbit behaviour - the humping - anyway she'll get her own back when she's older - I've noticed that female rabbits are no different than we are in this :lol: . My female got her own back on my neutered male by using his fur to line her nest when she got teenage and broody. She chased him and pulled his fur out every chance she got. :lol:

I'm so sorry, I did'nt quite get that due to the language barrier :oops: Do you been it's normal for her to get scared? And that it's okey for her to get scared and I should'nt worry?

Sorry - I'll try to explain it better.

No just that the being scared shouldn't be lasting. If the behaviour is natural to rabbits and mounting is a sign of dominance showing she is scared could be a sign of submission to the dominance.

Thanks very much, that's very reassuring to hear :D I'm hoping to post pictures of two happy rabbits together at monday morning :D

Should I have them loose in the kitchen when they meet at my mum, or is it better to have them together in a cage?

I'd have them in a small area, somewhere you can be part of the group. I wore thick oven gloves (or gardening gloves would do) and had a plant spray with water in it, when I bonded mine. It meant that if I had to separate them they couldn't bite me - also it wasn't my smell, so they didn't become frightened of me. The water, squirted in their face, makes them pause - and usually wash it off :lol: . Also shouting 'No' stops them too, and reminds them that you are the one who's really boss - well sort of.

They will scuffle, try to mount one another, and such. It is very important in the rabbit social structure to settle these things straight away, though I've noticed that once sorted it becomes a bit more fluid.

Good luck

How long will the mounting continue? I've had them in the kitchen since 15.00, and he still won't stop. And she won't let him. She runs away. The won't sit next to each other. They eat hay, and he will case her trying to mount her. Does she have to give in for him to stop? Or will he stop eventually anyway? Does it come down to who is the most stubborn?

This is a 2 1/2 year old neutered male (at six months) and a ten week old baby girl. Isn't it normal for a baby to tolerate mounting?

I think she is still disputing his dominance. I suppose it'll be when he's sure she realises that he's in charge. With my first bonding I had a Netherland Dwarf and a huge much older female and it went on for days - she used to wait for him to get in position, and then walk off. Don'tt think of it as being sexual - it isn't. It's more holding her down and showing he can keep her there whenever he wants to.

Of course as she gets a bit older the tables may turn and you'll find it all starting again. Sounds, though, like things are going well. Don't seperate them now that they are together, unless it gets really bloody of course.

Back