• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Opinions on Bonding?

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
My buck was castrated around 2 months ago; my doe around one week ago, so I'm going to start bonding next week, but I have something to check first.

I know that bonding should be carried out in neutral territory; but can where the rabbits live (i.e. the room) be neutral?

From about 4 weeks after I got my buck him and Lucifer have always lived in the same room - albeit in separate cages, apart from each had a one night stay at the vets before being neutered.

Presently they both live in "half" a dog cage; it's one from an eBay shop & it came with a divider - so you can have one big cage (44") and two smaller dogs (or bunnies!) in it together. They've never fought; and mostly ignore each other - even though they live right beside each other and can see each other.

Anyway, what I was wondering is this: could I use "their" room to bond them, or is it too dangerous?

I do have plenty of other space to bond them; it's just transporting them there; Nyx hates being picked up; and Lucifer hates going up stairs!

I would try for somewhere more neutral. To a bunny nose their smell is probably all around the room even though we couldn't smell any thing.

It would be fine to move them using a carrier like when you go to the vet. That way you don't have to carry her :)

Tam

Do you mean if you took them in one by one by carier? No, not if you doing it fairly quickly. It would take awhile for a rabbit to feel like it's there territory. Like moving into a new house - you don't feel it's yours instantly until you settle in. I'd pop the male in first then bring then female. It tends to be the girls that are most fussy about territory when it's a boy-girl meeting.

Tamsin

Yep def go for neutral territory, bathroom (some use bathtub) or anywhere they havent been. Think you have an advantage that they have lived so close so know each others' smells already.

Have plenty of things for them to intersted in (cardboard boxes, empty plastci bottles etc) and sit with them - all 'new' so they have had no chance to add scent and 'own' them etc.

They have to establish who wil be 'boss' which will mean some mounting and you may find some unusual noises (my charlie thumped his feet a lot and grunted) and some of thins wil need to happen but do not let it get far (clap hands, shout no etc) since a bad experience will be remembered. If it get stoo 'heated' and you think there is harm being done then separate them and try again another time. Do it at their pace.

The fact that they seem to ignore each other at the moment is a good sign tho.

Try looking at tips online
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=bonding&sp-a=00062824-sp00000000 there is a lot of info (tho you know your bunnies best to gear it to them)
http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

Let us know how it goes (it is so worth it, nothing better than seeing bunies 'in love' :D)

I know that bonding should be carried out in neutral territory; but can where the rabbits live (i.e. the room) be neutral?

Anyway, what I was wondering is this: could I use "their" room to bond them, or is it too dangerous?

I do have plenty of other space to bond them; it's just transporting them there; Nyx hates being picked up; and Lucifer hates going up stairs!

Please use a separate area to bond your rabbits as the room you are planning to use is 'their' territory, I would suggest you take them to another area for a few days until they are happy together. The hutch / cage they were living in can be used after you have bonded them together however this must be thoroughly cleaned and desmelled, vinegar is perfect for doing this.

My boyfriend bonded my rabbits yesterday for me(and no, I didn't ask him to!):roll:
I came home from work and was greeted with two friendly buns instead of one!
He bonded them in their territory room and had been supervising them all day with no problems (no problems today either) :shock:
They were bonded as babies when we first had them but were seperated totally at 10 weeks before any shenanigans could take place and they have been living as nose touch neighbours for the last 8 weeks whilst individual neuters have been done and recovered from.
Sooooo although far from ideal, it can be done without too much nuetral territory if required (although I guess our pair were familiar with each other to some degree) and a lot of supervision

Back