• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Piggie pros and cons

Isabel

Warren Veteran
Hello,
My sister is thinking of getting two guinea pigs after Christmas and I just wanted to find out some basic information for her. My first round of research has lead her to increase the piggie count to two.

We had one when we were kiddies but as with bunnies everything seems to have changed.

Are two girlies easier to keep together?
How much room and excersise do they need? (they will be indoors)
DO they need any jabs like bunnies?

I've directed her to guinea pig rehome which she has been looking through but we couldn't find this information on there.

Thanks for you advice
x

Two females together would be fine:D
The don,t need any any jabs like bunnies.
They are quite messy though and wee and poo everywhere:lol: :lol: So they do need cleaning out often.
They need lots of veg,love hay and a good food with vitamin c.
If they are to be kept inside they will need a large cage,they love to run around.Alot of people make their indoor cages from storage cubes.
Take a look on www.theguineapigforum.co.uk it is good:D

Two females together would be fine:D
The don,t need any any jabs like bunnies.
They are quite messy though and wee and poo everywhere:lol: :lol: So they do need cleaning out often.
They need lots of veg,love hay and a good food with vitamin c.
If they are to be kept inside they will need a large cage,they love to run around.Alot of people make their indoor cages from storage cubes.
Take a look on www.theguineapigforum.co.uk it is good:D

completely agree, two females are really good together, and they do poo for england:lol: here is the forum I use for my piggies, although their are alot of breeders on there, there is so much info on the forum and everyone is very helpful. It covers lots of areas of keeping piggies.

http://www.pimms-pages.co.uk/forums/

Sallyx

completely agree, two females are really good together, and they do poo for england:lol: here is the forum I use for my piggies, although their are alot of breeders on there, there is so much info on the forum and everyone is very helpful. It covers lots of areas of keeping piggies.

:lol: :lol: I seem to spend the whole of my life cleaning out the piggies:shock: :lol: :lol:
Don,t know how Elve manages:shock: :shock:

Great thanks guys. so if they poos and wee alot are they not really practival to have running round like rabbits?

:lol: :lol: I seem to spend the whole of my life cleaning out the piggies:shock: :lol: :lol:
Don,t know how Elve manages:shock: :shock:

me to, they are messy little things:lol: :lol:
but their squeaky little noises make up for it:lol:
Sallyx

i have had my 2 female guinea pigs for 4 weeks now and they only poo and wee in their litter tray which surprised me only put the tray in to see if they would use it.Only the odd poos outside the tray

i have had my 2 female guinea pigs for 4 weeks now and they only poo and wee in their litter tray which surprised me only put the tray in to see if they would use it.Only the odd poos outside the tray

wow your lucky, most guinea pigs poo everywhere:shock: :shock:
Sallyx

Oh my god! How did you do that? :shock: :shock: You must having amazing pigs. The ones I've had and have now just go anywhere.

Some guineas will happily train to use a tray :D

My current two boars do :D but ive had a fair few that don't :rolleyes:

Oh and my two have been brought in tonight for the winter, they won't be impressed with no grazing free range for the next 4 months but I love having them chat to me when I get up in the morning to open the fridge :D

Oh and my two have been brought in tonight for the winter, they won't be impressed with no grazing free range for the next 4 months but I love having them chat to me when I get up in the morning to open the fridge :D

Buy some litter trays and plant some grass in them, you can then swap over the trays every few days.

Mine too: I have two females and they always use the same corner litter tray for both poo and wee... they are tidier than my rabbits! :lol:

I find my girls are much tidier than my boys. My girls normally decide on a particular spot for their toilet, whereas the boys do it everywhere. Typical men! Def two girls or a neutered boar and a girl are best. I do have one bonded male pair, but my other boars are singles. They do live close together though and can see each other. They are quite old, hence not risking neutering. They are a joy though. Everyone should have a couple of piggies.

I love my piggies. Never kept any before but we got Charlie from a rabbit boarding/rescue when we came back from holiday. He was on his own and nobody wanted him cos he has problems with one of his eyes, its half closed and needs eyes drops twice daily. I took pity on him and took him home. He is such a sweetie. I did notice he seemed to be lonely though so we got him neutered and got him a wifey. Shes quite a nervious little piggie but when I do finally catch her, she loves her cuddles:D

I have 2 girls, there 4 1/2 yrs old.They poo and pee everywhere :lol: live inside in a c & c cage, beg when i go to the fridge and like to argue when one wants the pigloo all to herself (Maisy you know who i'm talking about :roll: :lol: ) They need a good pellet food, mine have pets at home an there fine with it.They also need a cup a day of vegetables as they cant make they own vitamin c. They love having lots of hay to eat and hide in, tunnels and tubes and loved the little willow balls from pampered piggies :D .

My girls :D
Maisy moo the moody one :rolleyes:
DSCF0977.jpg

And Belle :)
DSCF0984.jpg

Last edited:
Back