• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Girls getting spayed in 2 weeks!!!! HELP!!! NEW QUESTIONS

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I have decided to start up this thread so that if I have any questions about my girls' spay, I can ask them here rather than starting loads of threads.

They are getting spayed in the beginning of December hopefully. They are quite hormonal so I think now is the right time. They will be 21-22 weeks old. I'm going to have them in overnight or longer depending on their recovery. I've got a fireguard that I'm going to place against a wall. What can I put over the top of the fireguard to stop cats jumping in as there is a small gap between the roof of the fireguard and the wall?I'm going to put plastic sheet underneath and vetbed in the area. I'm going to supply pellet food, hay and water. Shall I give them as many pellets as they want, or do I keep to the same amount they get each day? Should we put the heating on in this room, or should we put low heat on in the next room? Should I sleep in that room with them overnight? When should I put them back outside? Should I get a Snugglesafe for them to go outside with on their first night outside? Should I put them outside in the morning so they get used to outside temperatures before nightfall? When should I allow them into their run? When can I pick them up and hold them? What should I take to the vets with me? What should I ask the vets? Sorry so many questions. Thanks

hey hun, alot of people seem to keep their buns in for one night and then move them into a cold room the next night so their body tempreture adjusts to the cold again and them place them back outside, im not sure what you use for bedding but ive been told by my vet that straw is a no no as it can dig into the would break stitches etc.
girls are normally bad at taking their stiches out so i would probably ask for a couple of cones... although i wouldnt use them unless they seem to be playing with their stitches you'll know if their doing this if they sit with their head down there for ages and if you see that happen you will need to place a cone on their head which they will need to keep on until they are healed (10 days) but you will need to feed them the poops their meant to eat.
cant give advice about the fireguard because i dont know what that is :oops: (im not the brightest of people) so il let someone else answer that question :)

hi we had the same fireguard idea when Lola was spayed but we don't have cats to keep out, maybe get a strong cardboard box and cut it to fit the gap and then place a towel over the top. i think sleeping if the same room is a personal decision - we did as i wanted to keep a close watch on her. with a spay your vet should offer a free check up 2-3 days later, my vet advised that a week from the op (all being well) the rabbit will be totally back to normal. Lola was fine after about 3 hours (we had to pen her in because she was moving around too much) but for a week we checked the wound to see how it was healing. Our vet did internal stitches so she had nothing to pull out but too much movement can cause tearing. make sure you feed the girls as normal before the op and take along their normal food and hay for after the op (we called it Lola's packed lunch:lol: ) i think the temp q's had already been answered. in regards to picking them up i would only do it to check the wound and try not to cause too much discomfort....sorry if i havent covered everything. im sure you'll get lots of advice and you can ask your vet:)

i didnt stay in the same room as any of my buns when i had them spayed and neutured, but its a personal decision. wont do them any harm if you do lol!
xxx

I kept my girls indoors until their stitches were removed. Didn't have any probs re them nibbling stitches either. As they were on cage rest I didn't give them much space to walk around just enough for a litter tray a food and water dish and a layout space. Thick layers of news paper on the cage floor and layers of newspaper in the litter tray (which already smelt of them so they knew what it was for). Picked them up once a day to check on the wound. Until they were eating normally tried numderous things to encourage them to eat. Dandelions worked best.

If buns are to be left over night in the same room as the cats and the cats could possible get in I would sleep in the room with them.

When you take them for their ops make sure they have some food/hay in their carriers as they need to keep eating. I always take a bag of chopped up veg for the nurses to try and tempt them with afterwards.

Good luck.

Rabswood

When my bun was speyed we put her on newspapaer in her litter tray so the sawdust didnt stick to her stitches.

We checked on her every 2 hours throughout the night :oops:

We were knackered the next day :lol:

Check she poo's after, and get her eating ASAP ans drinking water.

I felt sick until we saw her on the mend.

Can i ask for internal stitches so I don't have the trouble with them opening their wound? My parents want to just place the hutch inside for one night and put them out again next morning. Is this a problem? Should I not put straw in their bedroom, just vetbed and hay? Should the heating be turned off completely in that room, or just a low heat? They will be next to the heater, if the hutch is brought inside. If we are going to use the fireguard idea, they will be in the next room from the heater.

They will have internal as well as external stitches ( belt and braces) so if they do nibble out stitches it is not a disaster. I keep buns in overnight then back to their own environment asap, painkiller 24 hrs after op and then they are usually fine, make sure they are eating drinking and pooping although this may take several hrs after op. just make sure they have lots of hay and maybe something nice like parsley to nibble on, keep temp of room warm while they are getting over anesthetic. I find the younger you do op's the quicker they get over it. I do female buns here at 14/16 weeks. :wave:

i think the type of stiches you get depend on the vet, the ones Lola had did not need removing and you couldn't see them (dont know how they manage it but its very good) maybe speak to your vet before hand to check their procedures. we dropped Lola off at 8am and i was banging down the door to get her at 1pm (she was eating hay so she could come home) if your buns are only staying in the one night i personally would leave the heating off and just give extra bedding so the change in temp isn't so harsh. if you end up using the hutch give it an extra good clean with some boiling water to kill any germs before they get back from the op and just pop some of their usual toys in to make it like their home

They are booked in for the 3rd December!!!! I'm so excited but nervous at the same time. I know these facts(are they all correct?):

:arrow: Must feed them up to the operation
:arrow: Water them up to the operation
:arrow: Keep them inside overnight and the next day and night.
:arrow: Ask for internal stiches if possible
:arrow: Take a packed lunch for afterwards
:arrow: Use no straw for bedding until they have healed(How long does this take?)(Can I use hay for bedding?)(What else can I use for them to keep them warm?)

Some questions:

:?: When should I allow them to go into their run?
:?: Should I continue with feeding and everything afterwards?
:?: What checkups should I do every day? What do I look out for? How to I pick them up safely and comfortably?
:?: Should I have the heating down whilst they are inside? What level should it be on? They will be right next to a heater in a wooden hutch.
:?: How do I get them used to the cold outside? I've thought that I would put them out in the morning when it's warmer so they get used to the temperatures before nightfall.
:?: Should I use a Snugglesafe for the first couple of nights outdoors so they can have some warmth if they need it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Gosh you're a worrier! ;) Doesn't take long at all for them to heal, should be fully normal in under a week if everything goes ok. Fur starts to grow back really quickly too. In answer to your questions -They can go in their run the day after their op. Feed them exactly the same as you always do afterwards. Just check the wound each day, you'll know if there is something wrong with it. Just pick them up as normal, avoiding their tum. I'd turn the heating down whilst theyre indoors, yes. Agree with putting them back out in the morning, And definately use the snugglesafe....Dont worry, they'll be absolutely fine! Its a routine op & most buns on here are done with no problems whatsoever. Hugs to the girlies X

Messy had her spay on Monday and all went well. Like you, I didn't really know what to expect and I got all the information by doing a search on this site (thanks everyone!!) She came home at teatime on Monday and was a bit sleepy, but she nibbled on food straight away. We brought the smallish run that we use for the guinea pigs in for a couple of nights and put a blanket and then vetbed down for her. We also gave her hay in a box and water in a bowl so she didn't have to move if she didn't want to. My main concern was poos, she didn't do any until nearly lunchtime on Tuesday - you have never seen anyone so happy to see rabbit poo as me that morning. Tuesday, she was a bit quiet, but I had to get up with my son in the middle of the night on Wednesday (school trip to Belgium) and by then there was plenty of poo and she had started trashing the place - she's not called Messy for nothing. At the moment she is in her run, in the garage, right next to Taffy in his run, so that they can see and smell each other but she isn't being "bothered" by him. I'm hoping that will help them settle in together again when I put them back together.
Incidentally, does anyone know if her spay will help with her tendancy to chuck out all her bedding, toys, poo everywhere etc. Will we have to change her name?!:lol:

Well If it makes you feel any better Kira is going in on 3rd december too so you have someone to panic with :lol:

MSN me if you need a chat ;)

Thanks vicki. PM me your msn.

Thanks everyone else. I'm such a worrier. I don't like vets very much and any operation is awfully stressful for me and the animal. Would someone be able to answer this please? Should I buy a Snugglesafe for when they go back outside for the first few nights? And, what bedding can I use instead of straw?

Last edited:
Thanks vicki. PM me your msn.

Thanks everyone else. I'm such a worrier. I don't like vets very much and any operation is awfully stressful for me and the animal. Would someone be able to answer this please? Should I buy a Snugglesafe for when they go back outside for the first few nights? And, what bedding can I use instead of straw?

I'd say definately at this time of year, really helped my girls after speys/being unwell :) You can use straw bedding once they go out again, as long as its quite soft, they heal so quickly Xx

Back