• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP- Sudden Death in Young Rabbits

cshippard

Young Bun
Hi All,
I have a friend that has recently purchased 4 baby rabbits from a breeder- all at between 8-12 weeks old. Rex. I think she got excited about my love of rabbits and thought she would get her own! One of the rabbits looked small for it's age and under-weight but all were eating, running around and pooing as normal. No upset tummies, no signs of distress but to her terror she has found all have died one by one. One minute they are eating and having fun and then within minutes they stop, sit in the corner and then drop dead shortly after. This has happened over a couple of days. They all had contact with each other at some stage.

She is thinking of asking the vet to do a PM but what else could it be? I looked on the internet...VHD? Apparently the breeder called her up to say she has lost a lot of her young rabbits. How can this be spread? What age can rabbits be vaccinated against this?

Does anyone have any ideas?

This must surely by a virus or a genetic defect?

A PM would probably be the best course of action.

This is very sad. :cry: Please pass our thoughts on to your friend. I hope this hasn't put her off keeping rabbits.

That is very sad :cry:

They are still quite delicate at this age I believe and a change in diet, ie introducing veg too soon or a change of pellets could be very harmful :?

I think VHD can be done at 10 weeks, but don't quote me on that.

It sounds like VHD to me, although without a PM you won't know for sure. If your friend got them from a responsible breeder it isn't too likely that it's a genetic defect.. I would definitely have a PM done. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks everyone- i feel really sorry for her because she went to such efforts to get enormous runs and hutches so the rabbits would be happy. In fact they were spoilt rotten. I am going to see her this evening...i don't think she has been put off forever, but she's really upset now and can't help think she has done something wrong.

I will investigate all the links and information. Thanks!
Catherine

I have to say my money would be on Coccidia too, but it could also be in conjunction with Enteritis.

Binky free baby bunnies :cry:

Back