• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns sitting out in the cold, advice

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Despite having a lovely warm hutch with a snugglesafe and lots of straw to bed down in they seem to be outside most of the night. I don't like shutting them in as the hutch isn't the biggest but are they ok outside? Would they go inside if they were cold or are they just stoopid!!!

I'm extending their hutch at the weekend to make the bottom bit about 4ftx4ft but the top bit will be 4ftx1ft (I bought it off ebay and didn't realise how small it was). Will they be ok shut in the extended hutch at night or should i leave them to it with access to the run? It was really frosty this morning and I don't want my little monkeys getting cold and ill :)

OK thanks, I was just concerned that they are too daft to go inside. Minstrel especially, I don't think he's the smartest bun around :) :love:

I have the same problem with Skye. She sits out in her run, on the paving slabs in all weather. Rain, sun, wind frost, she doesn't seem to care. I wonder if she'll stay inside when it snows?

When I first realised she was sitting out in the cold at night I'd go out and encourage her into her hutch... but by the time I got back to the kitchen and looked out she was back in her favourite spot in the run! I bought her a wee plastic hidey hole and put it in the corner of her run as I thought she might go in there to get out of the rain... but she has just pushed it out the way and sits beside it! Sometimes I think she is just stoopid! :lol:

Glad its not just my buns then!! Going to build them a nice shelf for the run this weekend as they have a little house thing they like sitting on top but it takes up a lot of room.

They just sit outside huddled up looking cold!! Daft things rabbits!!

At least yours can snuggle together. Skye is a single bun just now so I'm extra worried because of that. We just haven't been able to find her the love of her life just yet....

Mine NEVER use their hutches:roll: They sit on top of them, or in the most exposed part of the run. I guess they do snuggle up together more at this time of year though.

Ah i'm sure her husbun is out there somewhere for her to snuggle up to, you just have to play cupid and find him for her!

Jen and Frankie always drag their snuggle safe out of their bed and dump it as far out as possible, so I've given up giving them one! I always find the pair of them flopped out right by the door in the mornings anyway, so I can only assume that they are not cold :lol: I think buns cope much better with the cold than we give them credit for... to be honest, they always seem more uncomfortable when it's very hot.

Dont worry your buns will be fine :) 2 of mine choose to sit in the run most of the time too! Buns are good at coping with the cold. As long as they are sheltered from the wind and the raiin they cope very well. Think how thick their coats are and the fact they have fur on their feet too helps to keep them warm!

As my dad and boyfriend keeps telling me 'they are meant to live outside and cope perfectly well with cold weather' I spose they are right, i would just like to bring all my animals in (see my sig... would be a full house!!!) but alas i cannot and as long as they have food and shelter they will choose where is best.

I would not think much of shutting them in their hutch last thing at night and let them out first thing in the morning at this time of year.

xxx

Back