• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best litter for bunnies/safest...

Wuzzy

Warren Scout
I'm hearing totally different things. Yes on pine pellets no on pine pellets..who knows?Are there less exspensive ones that work great???

i pay £3.50 for a 10 litre bag of pine pellets cat litter which lasts about two weeks.... i have recently seen people talking about megazorb which is a fraction of that cost even with delivery so ill be trying that next time i order from someone who stocks it.. until then i dont see a problem with the pine pellets as i get them from my local supermarket and its easy :)

I use pine pellets but am trying different things at the mo. Just bought some carefresh but haven't tried it yet.

I've never seen Megazorb "in the flesh". Is it pellet shaped? My old buns when I tried anything else other than sawdust would eat it. :roll: I would like to try Tom and Louis with megazorb but am concerned they will just eat it as well! Anybody got a picture of some? :D

I've never seen Megazorb "in the flesh". Is it pellet shaped? My old buns when I tried anything else other than sawdust would eat it. :roll: I would like to try Tom and Louis with megazorb but am concerned they will just eat it as well! Anybody got a picture of some? :D

http://www.bunnybasics.net/images/megazorbloose.jpg
MEGAZORB is a horse and general animal bedding/litter made from virgin wood pulp. It is produced by high temperature drying (reaching temperatures of up to 500°C) which not only removes the moisture from the wood pulp but kills off moulds, spores and bacteria. After dust extracting the product twice, it is put into 85 litre weatherproof bags.

Suitable and safe for rabbits and all other small animals even if eaten.

Environmentally Friendly
Biodegradable, composts quickly (taken from BB website)

is megazorb suitable to use on its only for litter tray

Archie has newspaper then bedding straw in his bedroom then I leave a layer of newspaper and the rest of the hutch clear of any bedding and then a corner litter tray with wood pellets currently.

megazorb is mega absorbent :p wonder how they came up with the name? :rolleyes: I get mine online but if you have a car it's much cheaper from a local outlet - huge sack for about £5 - their website's 'northern crop dryers' :)

Pine of any sort is not good to use for ANY small animal as the phenols in it can contribute to liver damage and respiratory disease [but will people listen..]

Megazorb is great, as is Yesterday's News, Bio Catolet and Back to Nature :)

Apparently Aubiose is good too but I've not tried it yet - I will be ordering some in the new year as I find Megazorb a bit too dusty for my rats.

I have been using wood pellets from P@H but was researching this forum for possible alternatives - have been impressed with it and find it a great improvement on wood shavings which are eurrgggh to use and just get spilt everywhere.

The wee aroma is virtually gone with wood pellets.

I don't like the idea of pine fragranced litter for pets.

The megazorb - is it lightweight - does it blow around?

I was reading about the yesterday's news on here but then found the thread about foreign bodies in it !! yikes

I have been using wood pellets from P@H but was researching this forum for possible alternatives - have been impressed with it and find it a great improvement on wood shavings which are eurrgggh to use and just get spilt everywhere.

The wee aroma is virtually gone with wood pellets.

I don't like the idea of pine fragranced litter for pets.

The megazorb - is it lightweight - does it blow around?

I was reading about the yesterday's news on here but then found the thread about foreign bodies in it !! yikes

i have used wood cat litter for ages but it wasnt wondereful and i tried megasorb..not agin..i found it stuck to the buns fir tracked everywhere and worse still..it pongs like a sweaty jock strap..well how id imagine it would!!! it stank the house out!

I tried "back 2 nature" which wrked fine and then bio catolet....and i vow by bio catolet ..it soaks up the wee great..and doesnt smell and soaks up the smell of we wonderfully. And it doesnt stick to the buns fur even if i use it on its own.

having house buns makes it hard to stop the pongs....but this is great. More importantly..if i forget to order online i can order it along with my tesco shopping order!

Tesco's do a cat litter which is simaler to megazorb. Obviously not as cheap, but easier accessible to buy with your weekly shop.

I use Easibed. Used to use Megazorb but it is very fine and absorbent so they were eating some of it with their hay.

I personally wouldn't use pine pellets - it's just compressed sawdust.

I use either Bob Martin's paper based litter or Morrisons own paper based litter and both are very absorbant and safe :D About £2 per bag I think.

We used the wood pellets from P@H but found that Charly was allergic to it. It made him sneeze and appeared to be quite snuffly. We now useTesco paper cat littler. Very absorbent.

We used the wood pellets from P@H but found that Charly was allergic to it. It made him sneeze and appeared to be quite snuffly. We now useTesco paper cat littler. Very absorbent.

ive recently just moved to megazorb... and now youve said that ive noticed Alvin hasnt sneezed once for a good few days.. i always thought the hay irritated his little nose :oops: :oops:

I use either Bob Martin's paper based litter or Morrisons own paper based litter and both are very absorbant and safe :D About £2 per bag I think.

Just in case you didn't see my post be very aware of Morrisons Litter!

If anyone uses Morrisons 100% recycled paper cat litter 10litres for £1.99, be careful. On saturday I was cleaning out Bunnie's cage and whilst putting the stuff in her litter tray a big staple fell into her litter tray. Now I was quite shocked and angry as Bunnie has just recovered from GI Stasis and we don't want her suffering anymore. I told my other half that when changing litter tray or even cage shavings we must sive through the stuff to make sure no foreign bodies! Well Sunday night other half was cleaning her litter tray, and this time when putting in cat paper litter, 3 big staples were in it. We have now stopped using it and are using megazorb and Morrisons got a good by by otherhalf today and had to give money back for the used and an un-used bag! He went mad at them saying that this could injure a cat let alone kill a Rabbit and as they do not use staples in anyway to seal the bag there is no excuse for it!

I used to use Carefresh and loved it although I had to switch because it was too expensive.

I was worried that as Megazorb is smaller than carefresh it would get kicked out of the litter trays, it has stayed put though, very impressed and I find it absobed Arnie's wee alot better than Carefresh too, no smell what so ever in his room.

Purple Bumble, I think you may of had a bad batch, I had one once and when I called the supplier they apologised and said it was probably stored near horses (causing the smell to diffuse inside the bag) and that they will send me another bag, haven't had the same problem since ;)

Back