• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnie doesn't like being picked up!

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Has anyone advise on getting our Bunny use to being picked up.

She's 2 years old and from being a baby has always run a mike when we go to pick her up. We do attempt to pick her up in the correct way but as soon hands go near her she bolts it. Only time I get to hold her and have a cuddle is when she's **** scared at the vets when we take her out of carrier at vets and then put her back in.

She loves cuddles but either lying on floor with her or on rare occasions she will jump on sofa and jump on my chest, but as soon as she's there she's gone again.

Any advice??

rabbits generally dont like being picked up, sometimes you find some that do but only two of my four will allow me to pick them up. one bcus shes so timid, so i dont like to bcus it frightens her!

remember they r prey animals so liek to keep all the feet firmly on the ground.is she spayed? this could help, but try to pick her up as little as possible then you will have a better relationship with her. xxx

Lots of bunnies don't like to be picked up.

Out of my 8 only 3 will put up with a cuddle (Maisie, Bamber & Mr Snow)
4 won't even let me stroke them (Lavender, Treacle, Oxo & Pippin).
Blossom will let me pick her up but always looks really scared so I don't pick her up often.

You just have to enjoy them for who they are and take any stroking or picking up very slowly.

I've had Lavender, Pippin and Oxo for 3 or 4 years (can't remember :oops: ) and I am still working on the stroking. Lavender and Oxo are getting much better.

Rabswood

Bunnie

She has been spayed, and is a very loveable rabbit. She always want's cuddles and loves being kissed on the nose. The reason we chose her was because she hopped over to us, and nudged by partners finger with her nose, lowered her head down and put her head against his finger, everytime he stopped stroking her nose she nudged his finger until he rubbed her nose again. We just thought it would be better if we could pick her up more easily incase we need to if she in any danger. Also when we have to take her to the vets we let her out her cage , this makes her know somethings up because her routine has changed, then when we can my partner has to hold her to the floor, while i get her carrier (have to hide it from her otherwise she won't come out) then he lifts her up puts her in, and i quickly close lid before she tries to jump out. Just thought if we could get her use to being picked up a visit to the vets would be less stressful for her.

:rabbit2:

Alvin has to be fenced in his pen before the o/h can get him.... he totally objects to being picked up but does trust enough that he doesnt fight it if he is caught..... hes avoiding us a bit now because hes had two vets visits this week and the vet did some pretty mean checks so id want to avoid humans too if i was Alvin... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pick Up!

What i have learned over the years is my boy rabbit harveymoon likes to be on the ground, he seems very annoyed if you pick him up, so what i did was lay on the ground with him. I spent a lot of time in the summer doing this in the garden, and he responded by climbing on me and laying down, this went on all summer and now he is much better. He still likes to play the chase game now and then but once you have him he will sit on your lap or lay on your shoulder, so you might need to try something differant and persevere.
Good luck.:wave:

none of mine like to be picked up, but agree its necessary in order to do checks, give treatment and get them into carriers etc sometimes it helps to spend a while talking and stoking before popping them into the carrier for a vet visit, the other thing i do is get the carrier out the night before and leave it in the room with them, then they get used to it. with ref to checks, i have to trance mine, turn them gently on their backs with head slightly lower, it doesn't last forever but enough to check them over. good luck.

thumper hates bein picked up.if i manage get him he will only stay still for afew seconds.prefers licking my fingers through the bars.:roll: :lol:

Back