• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Females living together - advice needed please!!

Lola&Honey

New Kit
Hi everyone! :wave:

I'm new to this forum but was hoping I could ask some of you for advice.

I've always kept rabbits, although I haven't had any for about 5 years.

All my previous rabbits have been boys so I need a bit of advice on girls please!!

I've just got 2 10week old baby lion head lop rabbits that are sisters. I got two so they could keep each other company and live in the same cage. But since getting them I've heard that females kept together tend to fight, even when sisters, is this correct?

I don't want to split them up if possible.

I'm hoping they will get along fine, but I'm a bit worried now about them fighting!!

Would having them neutured make any difference? I'd rather avoid this if possible as I may breed from them in the future (although I haven't decided yet), but if this is the only option then I would obviously do it for their welfare. If neutering is the only solution, should I get it done ASAP, or wait to see if they do start fighting?

I'm so confused, all I wanted was to get two so they'd be happier and now I'm not sure if I've done the right thing!!

They seem fine at the moment, although I notice occasional wet patches in one of the rabbits fir, I don't know if this is a dominance thing as I've seen one of them trying to mount the other.

Sorry if I've waffled!! Any advice on keeping sisters together will be much appreciated!!

Thank you for reading my post!!

Hi, its responsible of an owner to neutr, not just because it is to prevent cancer, but also it makes them better for it.
i have two girls at 7 months old and ive had to seperate but they will be neutered on weds x

Thanks for replying!
Have you seperated them because they are fighting?
Are you going to put them back in the same cage once they've been neutured?

they did start to scuffle and did not want them to have a proper fight as would not be able to bond after that,
personally, get them neutered asap.
i have left mine abit late really, i think had they been done a month or so ago this wouldn't have happened.
Am hoping to bond again after thier spay, but no guarantees. O/H is letting me adopt two more regardless, so it may be two single boys for bonding, or it may be a case of a bonded couple x

I've got 4 unspayed females (sisters) that live together happily in a 5x8 shed, so I'd say it depends on personality and how much space they have, plus spreading the food out so there's no dish to fight over. I did hear a crash earlier, so I guess someone got their bum nipped for some reason, but serious fighting has never happened yet *touch wood* - they are now 3yrs old.

Thanks, I'll definately look into giving them more space, at the moment they are in a reasonably large hutch, and come in to the house for a few hours a day (unfortunatley they can't be in all the time as we have dogs that I don't trust with them!!), but we are planning on builing a run onto the hutch, so they can permanently go in and out, and so we can just shut them away on a night.

I'm still unsure whether to just go ahead and get them neutrd or just leave them.

Is there any reason you don't have your four neutrd?

Also, if I ever decide to breed from them, will I need to seperate them?

My 2 are sisters, and when I got them they were 18 months old and had always lived together with no problems. One was obviously dominant, but that's still the case after neutering. It did stop them being so territorial with me though!

Firstly I'd say I'd definitely not to breed them. It's not an easy thing to do and there are far too many rabbits in rescues already looking for homes.

I have 3 girlies living together... 2 sisters and one a couple of weeks older, all unspeyed atm (bout 11 months old) and they've all been really happy, no fights... always grooming each other, if Abbi wasn't twice the sixe of them you'd think all 3 were sisters :lol: But will definitely getting them speyed eventually to prevent cancer (saving up to get them all done together). Suppose it depends on the personalities of the bunnies as to how they'd react to each other.

Yes, they were spayed just after I got them, so over a year ago now. They are calmer as a result, and still get on just as well.

I'll seriously consider spaying them, is cancer common in bunnies then?

Guess it will be a while if I do as I'll have to save a bit of money but it's nice to know there's no rush and they shouldn't start fighting just yet!!

Does anyone know how much it is? I'd feel a bit mean putting them through it but I guess it for their own good!!

Yes, uterine cancer is common in adult females. You've a while to save up. :) I don't think you need to assume that they will suddenly get aggressive towards each other - they are more likely (I would say) to get aggressive towards you when their hormones kick in. One of mine was a real biter when we first got them - she's nothing like that now.

I never thought of them getting aggresive towards me!!

The boys I've had previously were neutrd (as they were constantly mounting each other - lol, rather than fighting) and it was done quite late on, I've never had any problems with hormones!!!

I just assumed once they were friendly they would always be friendly as long as they were constantly handled, but I definately don't want them to start biting as I have a two year old son who I'm sure in the future will get his fingers in the way!!

Did you have to keep your seperate when they were neutrd for a while?

No, you're far better off keeping them together, so as not to break their bond. If you get them spayed at the same time, they will help each other recover too. I can't tell you how different my feisty 'bitey' bunny is now since her hormones have gone - she used to be all territorial, but is now as lovely and docile as anything. :)

I think I've completely come round on the idea of getting them neutrd since coming on the forum!!

I guess I just liked the idea of breeding from them, but in reality its not very practical and there are so many unwanted bunnies out there.

I think I'm definately going to get it done, after the expense of christmas!!

If it going to make them happier towards each other, friendlier to me and less likely to get cancer I've not really got any reason not to!

What age do the hormones start kicking in?

Well first of all its nice to see sum1 on here change their mind about breeding, so soon after being on here. I think getting them spaeyd asap will do them the world of good bcus they can live happily together.

if you ever bred them u wud have 2 split them up, and then their bond wud break, they wud pine 4 each other, and then probably not accept the other one back, so it isnt a good idea. plus theres lots in rescues but i dont need to tell u that cus u know:):)

some sisters can live happily unpsyaed til old age, but they may begin to fight when they reach adulthood. Also spaying reduces the chance of uterine cancer, and of course we want to keep our buns around as long as possible:D:D

edit - hormones can kick it anytime from four months, but sometimes it may take longer, ive known4 females 2 get on fine until 7 months...there alld ifferent xxx

I had two female rabbits that were sisters that just as XMissySJx said lived happily unspayed into old age. They never fought, but looking back the small one did chase her larger sister about every so often. Floppy the small one lived to be 9 and Fluffy the larger one lived to be 13. But although it worked out great for us, knowing what I've learn't just browsing the forums if I had two sisters again I would get them spayed to prevent cancer and it helps calm them down as well :)

Just to say something about the agression... my Tia used to be my little princess! She was such a cuddly bun and was happy being with me, recently she's been acting aggressive and going for me. Yesterday she bit me, I've NEVER had one of my buns bite me before :shock: (Kept them for 13 years) And this has only kicked in at 1 year 2 months old! (So will be getting her done asap next year! :thumb: )

I'm glad to hear you're thinking like this now, it's definitely the best for them :D You'll have 2 very happy bunnies! :D :D

I have very mischeivous girl bunnies at the moment, they are around 11 months old now. I've rang my vet up today to ask about spaying and it costs £55 and that includes the post op care aswel (not sure what this involves). I am seriously considering having this done in the new year, probably spring time. I can't cope with them right now, ripping everything to shreds and destroying their expensive hutch. I would love them to be happy and calmer and more friendly. I suppose there is no guarantee that this will occur after the op but it's definately worth a try i think. Will have to start saving the pennies. I've found this webisite very very useful and friendly, would like to say thank you to you all x

I've got 4 unspayed, 3yr old females (sisters) who have always lived together - I think a lot depends on the personality of the rabbits involved as they really are so individual - luckily mine have always got along well enough and seem to have worked out a hierarchy they are all happy with. Having a large shed to live in, several litter trays, cardboard boxes to rip to shreds, toys, and a chair to hop onto/around diffuses any chasing and fights, and also giving the food scattered on the floor, rather than in one dish, helps prevent fighting.

Back