• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stewie being neutered 2morrow!

haleyhop

Young Bun
Hi guys stewie is 6 months now and we have booked him in to be neutered tomorrow, and i was just wondering if there was any advice on what i should do before i take him in and aftercare?
cheers :wave:

You need to feed him all the way up to the op. pack his fave food etc for when he comes round. when you get him home make sure he eats drinks and poos if you see no poo's or hes not eating within my vet said 4 hours take him back to the vet asap. if hes not already a house bun keeping him in over night or for a couple of days would be a good idea. just keep an eye on him check the wound regulary as both mine developed Hematomas (SP) internal bleeds which caused the wounds to swell so had to be given a course of anti biotics.

Good luck im sure he will be fine! xxxx

I agree with whats above, also don't give him any harsh bedding like sawdust or straw, as it could irritate the wound. Use vet bed or a towel or something like that. Give him water from a bowl for a few days so he doesn't have to stretch up for water. Tempt him with his favourite things when he comes round and make sure that the vet has given a long-lasting painkiller to stop him feeling sore. Keep him quiet for a few days (Bailey was on cage rest for a couple of days when he was neutered) and keep him nice and warm for 24 hours as GAs lower body temperature. His ears will be a good indication of how warm he is. Hope it all goes well :)

I agree with all the above advice.

I would add, give him something very soft to lie on when he gets home. Either an old duvet or hay with a towel over it so that his wound isn't prickled.

Good luck!

FC xx

I agree with all the above advice.

I would add, give him something very soft to lie on when he gets home. Either an old duvet or hay with a towel over it so that his wound isn't prickled.

Good luck!

FC xx

Back