• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dont ask how or why -updated with very bad news-

ELVIS

Warren Scout
..but a bunny arrived at my house this morning!:roll:
hubby came back off nightshift to tell me there was a rabbit in the front garden, i panicked incase it was one of ours and ran outside clutching a banana and some cabbage! it isnt one of ours, i have caught him and although he is basically fine he does have a few minor scratches & cuts . look like cat scratches i think. his claws are worn all the way down to the quick...what does this mean do you think? how long would it take to wear them down that badly? hes in good nick generally and is no baby- could be anywhere from 1-5 id say. ive bought some clear plastic sleeves to put some posters up tomorrow so wish me better luck with this one than i had with poor edwin.
ive nicknamed him hank, he some sort of cross- uppy ears, a well built face , medium sized generally and kind of mismarked harlequin with a sooty fawn face. hes very friendly. the sad bit of the story only came about later- some neighbours said they saw him and another dark coloured one YESTERDAY running around nearby...welll although just speculating i think the other one may have gone to the bridge......at about 4 or 5 am this morning i heard a scream and my dogs shot out of bed and downstairs barking. i thoght it was a cat fight but now i believe it may have been hanks friend being taken by our local fox:cry: :cry:
it does make me wonder though about the two of them. hank is not castrated so why 2??? male/male would be terrible and male /female would have the obvious consequences and a spayed female would not tolerate this guys amour he really is a rampant rabbit -the only reason i caught him was because he was s***ing the cat:shock: :lol:
i havent done a thing with him or about him today as one of the dogs had a nasty accident this morning on our walk and ive only just picked her up from the vets so the hank house hunting starts tomorrow. fingers crossed for him , and his 'friend' :cry:

Last edited:
Lucky your husband found him, good luck finding his owners, hopefully they were not let out on purpose. How sad about his friend:cry:
Sallyx

maybe they are not from the same place?

also bear in mind lots of people buy 2 males bcus they dont want male/female cus of babies, then a few months down the line they fight, so they split them up, so they cud have been in seperate hutches,
altho....coincidental how two bunnies would 'escape'....xx

no, no other one and i have looked on foot and in the car. sad but im afarid it doesnt look good. also hank is not well this morning either. he has finally done some poos which i was worried about last night as he hadnt done any BUT he seems to be in pain with his tummy a bit. i have given oral painkiller and some infacol and im keeping him warm but i do think hes not right- well i know hes not. i dont want to stress him with the vets unless i have to though as this has already been a bad experience for him obviously and my bun vet is an hours trip. please send good vibes- i do hope he hasnt eaten anything he shouldnt while he was out n about. hes a lovely chap and even though hes feeling a bit off is still coming to me for cuddles.
his wee is a little dark i have noticed- does that mean anything do you think? i know when they eat different things it can change and also different buns can have lighter/darker wee but it is pretty dark brown. on the plus side he has eaten hay, a little veg, a bit of weetabix and a few pellets. he has done a nice pile of poos overnight and weed maybe 3 or 4 times this last 24hrs ....all good signs so what is going on in his tum i dont know. come on bunny x

Hank has just died:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i was on the phone to my mum but at the same time watching over him. he went into some sort of spasm/fit and so i started making plans to get him to the nearest vet.while i was getting a carrier out of the garage he passed on. i cant believe it. it was so fast . you poor poor little man hank. im sure he must have been poisoned or something i just dont get it. poor hank. i dont know what else to say. im still sat here with him now.:( it will be so sad now if his owners do find me and i have to tell them this:(

aww thats sad, sorry about that

but i wouldnt worry about the owners! i dont think they care tbh!

poor hank, bunny bridge vibez x x x

poor bunny:cry: could the claw marks have been from a cat or fox? maybe his own claws were warn down from being dragged :cry: :cry: perhaps he went into shock. poor poor little man. At least he wasnt alone, was warm and fed when he went to the bridge xx

Hank has just died:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i was on the phone to my mum but at the same time watching over him. he went into some sort of spasm/fit and so i started making plans to get him to the nearest vet.while i was getting a carrier out of the garage he passed on. i cant believe it. it was so fast . you poor poor little man hank. im sure he must have been poisoned or something i just dont get it. poor hank. i dont know what else to say. im still sat here with him now.:( it will be so sad now if his owners do find me and i have to tell them this:(

I am so sorry :cry:

Please do be *very* careful regarding your other Rabbits as Hank may well have been *unvaccinated* against VHD.

Janex

Oh no poor, poor bunny :cry: :cry: :cry:

You did what you could and at least he was in the warm when he passed.

Agree with Jane, be careful of your won buns

RIP little Hank, and your dark bunny friend - binky free now at the bridge xxx

OMG this is terrible news. Big hugs to you... buns always seem to spasm like that when they pass and I find it very distressing to watch so I know you must be feeling quite shaken now. Binky free Hank :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: xxxxx

thankyou for your words & thoughts x
i did keep him seperate from my buns for that 24hr period, the crate is one i use for my dogs not the bunnies but i have bleached it and everything in it to be on the safe side- does bleach kill the vhd virus? i dont know much about how it spreads really..? does it need a living host like myxi does or can it be passed on by spores?
hank had no bleeding or discharge i feel he had ingested poison or otherwise just gone into some sort of shock, i dont know. its so hard to understand when these things happen, i have some bunnies with chronic illnesses who have been trundling on for years and appear to be made of steel and yet this bunny just laid down and passed away so easily. so sad.:(

that's so sad. you should take comfort in knowing you did everything you could and that he was safe and warm when he went...poor little guy

Back