• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I make it safer for me to sit in the run?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I have a 5ft X 5ft X 2ft run for the buns to use for 8 hours a day, every day, rain or shine. As the girls have matured and become hormonal, they seemed to have distanced themselves from me and become more skittish and unfriendly. This is getting me down. When I first got them, I sat in their run almost every day when the weather was good and they become really friendly and happy in my space. From about 4-5 weeks ago, they have become really skittish and distant and don't seem happy in my company at all. I have stopped sitting in their run with them because of college commitments and time, and I think they could be one of the causes. Do you think this is? I'm getting them spayed beginning of next month and I hope they start to change their behaviour afterwards. I had previous female bunnies before who turned vicious when they had grown up and we didn't spay them. We were very distant from them and I wish I had spent more time with them. I don't want to become like that with my girls. Do you think spaying will help? I did sit with Milly today, giving her nose rubs and she seemed to like them, and asked for more. She has never done that before, then she got bored and went to eat grass. :rolleyes: What do you think I should do?

I have to take the roof off the run whilst I am inside because it is only 2ft high and my head sticks out of the top. What can I do to make it safer, because they can jump out quite easily if they use me as a climbing frame? Can I get wood/wire panels easily to extend the run? We aren't DIY people so want everything done for us, and for us to just screw in the panels.

Spaying often helps :)
Have you read 'why does my rabbit?' by anne mcbride I found it really useful in finding out a bit more about rabbit behaviour, anything by emma magnus is also good :)
as for the run you coul use a handy man to build a lid for you, or a local carpenter :)

pinky x

I haven't read any rabbit books. I'll see if we can get a local carpenter. Are there any online sites with wood/wire panels?

If it's only for when you're sat in the run why not get a few of the trellis made out of willow (our local shop sells them for £1 and they are 6' x 1')
They would add an extra 1' to the height of the run

I have a 2 foot high run and i sometimes just put a mat down and curl up on it, then i can pull the lid back over so they don't jump out. hope that made sense, I couldnt work out quite how to explain it.

When I got poppy in autumn 2006, age 2, she was very sweet natured and affectionate. then in spring as there started to be more daylight, as she hadnt been spayed, she became ridiculously vicous and wouldnt tolerate humans near her at all. even seeing someone walk near her hutch she would start runnung back and forth, grunting and snapping. it was a nightmare.

then i got her spayed and literally within two days she was back to her old self - loving a cuddle and a nose rub and having little sleeps on my lap. :D obviously there were risks involved with the spay and they require exrta care whilst recovering but it totally transformed her and me and poppy are both much happier now!

Back