• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shall I wait till after winter to reduce food?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I was wondering if I should wait until after winter to reduce their food, because they need the fat for warmth in the winter. They are getting a bit plump but they seem ok. They are going in for their spay at the beginning of December so is fat going to be a problem for them for the spay? I don't think it is just fur. I will get piccies tomorrow of them. And I will weigh them. I weighed them about a week or so ago, and they weighed 3.5lbs each. They are meant to be mini rexes but many people on here have said they are rexes. They are 18 weeks old tomorrow.

Rabbits aren't whales; they use their fur for insulation; not blubber.

Therefore I wouldn't reduce the amount you feed them until two or so weeks after the spay.

I dont think they really need fat for winter. Their coats grow thick enough and so long as they have plenty to keep them warm they'll be fine with that. They are still babies though so need lots of food anyway - so am sure keeping what your doing is fine :D

Back