• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

got a dilema.

Luciuslop

Alpha Buck
Now that I am in a postion to do so again I am looking for another bun to join us :D However, been looking at some rescue websites, in the rehome section on here and also in Preloved and FreeAds and ..................... there are just so many uwanted buns :cry: :cry: How can I possible choose just 1 out of thousands :cry: Its just so heartbreaking.

As I have said in previous posts I take in unwanted rats and as such I do not have a choice. The information I am given before the rat arrives is often very vague as to the rats colour, age, personality, etc - sometimes people don't even know what sex the rat is :roll: So, I never really know what I'm getting untill I've got. Kind of nice really as its always a lovely surprise when I finally meet the rat.And truthfully I couldn't give 2 hoots as to what coat/eye colour the rat has. I am only concerned with removing the rat from a bad situation. As far as the piggers are concerned I took Daffodil with me and she chose her friends herself, so again I didn't have any say in the matter.

Anyway, back to the bunny issue. I really do want a rescue and although I have no preference as to the bun's coat/eye colour I do love the larger rabbit breeds. I currently have 2 Frenchies, 1 dwarf lop and 1 small crossbred doe. The 2 little ones are rescues, but the Frenchies came from a breeder as I was not able to find any Frenchies in rescue. I would love another Frenchie or a ' Giant ' or even a Frenchie or Giant crossbred. My o/h has a van with his work that we have use of, so travelling is not an issue ( unless it was hundreds of miles ). I can bring Lucius with me to meet a potential friend, but Bigwig is a bit old to be travelling around now. He is such a sweetie though and will happily accept any new rabbit he meets without any issues.

I spoke with a close friend ( who is a rat person but not a bunny person ) and she said that I should not feel guilty for going to a breeder if I cannot find a bun in rescue as I do my bit for animal welfare with the rats. Whilst I can see where she is coming from I do feel very guilty when there are so many unwanted rabbits in rescue. I even feel bad about having a slight preference for larger buns.

I know I've asked this question before, but does anyone know of any larger buns that would like to move to South Wales ?

Did you try your local rescues? Often bunny runs can be arranged from rescues further away- lots of french lops needing homes.

Search large breeds and Giants on RR there are a few on there and i'm sure a bun run could be arranged to get one to you.

helen x

Now that I am in a postion to do so again I am looking for another bun to join us :D However, been looking at some rescue websites, in the rehome section on here and also in Preloved and FreeAds and ..................... there are just so many uwanted buns :cry: :cry: How can I possible choose just 1 out of thousands :cry: Its just so heartbreaking.

As I have said in previous posts I take in unwanted rats and as such I do not have a choice. The information I am given before the rat arrives is often very vague as to the rats colour, age, personality, etc - sometimes people don't even know what sex the rat is :roll: So, I never really know what I'm getting untill I've got. Kind of nice really as its always a lovely surprise when I finally meet the rat.And truthfully I couldn't give 2 hoots as to what coat/eye colour the rat has. I am only concerned with removing the rat from a bad situation. As far as the piggers are concerned I took Daffodil with me and she chose her friends herself, so again I didn't have any say in the matter.

Anyway, back to the bunny issue. I really do want a rescue and although I have no preference as to the bun's coat/eye colour I do love the larger rabbit breeds. I currently have 2 Frenchies, 1 dwarf lop and 1 small crossbred doe. The 2 little ones are rescues, but the Frenchies came from a breeder as I was not able to find any Frenchies in rescue. I would love another Frenchie or a ' Giant ' or even a Frenchie or Giant crossbred. My o/h has a van with his work that we have use of, so travelling is not an issue ( unless it was hundreds of miles ). I can bring Lucius with me to meet a potential friend, but Bigwig is a bit old to be travelling around now. He is such a sweetie though and will happily accept any new rabbit he meets without any issues.

I spoke with a close friend ( who is a rat person but not a bunny person ) and she said that I should not feel guilty for going to a breeder if I cannot find a bun in rescue as I do my bit for animal welfare with the rats. Whilst I can see where she is coming from I do feel very guilty when there are so many unwanted rabbits in rescue. I even feel bad about having a slight preference for larger buns.

I know I've asked this question before, but does anyone know of any larger buns that would like to move to South Wales ?

From what I have seen on the forum most people are brilliant at helping with bunny runs. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Sallyx

:love: :love: Thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions :D Emily is beautiful :love: :love: I'm sure my 2 Frenchies would agree with me, too :lol:

I think the problem is that there is simply too much choice :( Too many buns needing a forever home :? . I wish someone would just hand me a bun - like they do with the rats. My local rescues do not have any large rabbits ; the trend around here seems to be for dwarf lops and lionheads and there are lots of them, both in rescues and pet shops :evil: :( .

I am not even sure yet whether to go for a doe or a buck, but am leaning towards a spayed doe. Lucius and Bigwig are very attached to each other, but there is a huge age difference between them ( Lucius is 7 months and Bigwig is 4 3/4 ) and I feel that Lucius needs someone closer to his own age to play with. By the same mark Theo is also around 7-8 months and Peppermint is approx 6-7 years, possibly more, so Theo would also benefit from company closer to his own age. However, Peppermint does not like Lucius and Lucius does not like Theo but Bigwig loves everyone - bless his little cotton socks :love: , so my idea for a foursome was shortlived :lol: Whilst Lucius is lolling aorund on the sofa of an evening the other 3 spend time together and it would be nice if the new rabbit would fit in with this arrangement, but its not essential. I will probably be looking for a bun to live with Peps and Theo at a later date, but one thing at a time.

Just out of curiosity has anyone on here adopted from the ARC ? From looking at their website the adoption proceedures seem rather complicated and we would not be able to make 2 trips to visit them given the distance involved.
Taz

Sue has two blue butterfly giants at Southampton rabbit rescue. They are sisters but not the same litter. one is 18 mths the other a yr. i saw them at the weekend, they are beautiful. fancy two?;)

Sue has two blue butterfly giants at Southampton rabbit rescue. They are sisters but not the same litter. one is 18 mths the other a yr. i saw them at the weekend, they are beautiful. fancy two?;)

Are they a bonded pair and are they spayed and vaccinated ? I really don't have a large enough hutch for 4 big bunnies, but having said that they only go in it at night to sleep, they are freerange in the house or garage the rest of the time.

Taz

not sure about either of those, I can ask Sue though. got a feeling prob not, funds are VERY short for Sue at the mo, she almost had to close a month or so back :cry: would you like me to ask her anyway? or i can give you her contact details...

Just out of curiosity has anyone on here adopted from the ARC ? From looking at their website the adoption proceedures seem rather complicated and we would not be able to make 2 trips to visit them given the distance involved.
Taz

I am a member of ARC, foster bunnies for them and have adopted Luna from them. You can PM me, if you have any questions. :wave:

Are they a bonded pair and are they spayed and vaccinated ? I really don't have a large enough hutch for 4 big bunnies, but having said that they only go in it at night to sleep, they are freerange in the house or garage the rest of the time.

Taz

doh! didn't answer the bonded bit, yes they are. and happily so. one is slightly more confident than the other.

Back