• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex

Jennie Wright

Warren Scout
Does anyone know if its normal for rex rabbits to have a short of flap of skin under their chins. Seen one I really like but she seems to have this. Is this normal or is something wrong??? Thanks

Its normal for female rabbits who were not neutered at a young age or have been overweight at sometime in their lives.

Its called a dewlap and its a roll of fat basically. It does tend to shrink when a rabbit is dieted but once gained they normally have it for life. It initially grows due to hormones.

Yes think thats it but thankfully its not as large as that!! She is seven months old and just been neuted (Sept), so assume that it will be there to stay then. Many thanks for the replies, won't worry about!

For some reason Rexes seem more prone to developing them....it may be their coats show them up better due to the short hair.

"Dewlap? Who, me?" say Poppy the rex

poppyteabig.jpg

Milly is developing one. She has got hormones flying around all over the place and she is a tad overweight in my opinion, but the vet hasn't confirmed it.

im a meanie but i jus dont like dewlaps!! jelly has one and its massive but just on on side and i really dont like it lol!! im so nasty :(:(:(
love her just the same though!

IMG_3582.jpg

Roxy slimmed down a bit while she was my rescue bunny but still had a dewlap when she went.

I wouldn't worry about your prospective bun having one - i think they're cute!! :wave:

Back