• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Howdid YOU potty train your buns?

Wuzzy

Warren Scout
Yes, inside the cage and outside it's cage?
I need to litter train mine bunny in his cage and in the lanai (sp) screened porch. So he doesnt pee and poo all over the place.
Please help!!!

:wave: Have you tried collecting poos and putting them in the litter tray? Also put some hay in as some buns seem to like grazing while they are using it?

I trained all mine by using a big plastic box (like the ones that go under a bed for storage) and fill it with hay - they go in to eat the hay, and they toilet while they eat it :)

I use paper based litter that you buy from horse supplies - it's very absorbent.

Last edited:
I just put a litter try together with some wood or paper cat litter with hay on top and they used it. You must put hay in the litter tray because they like to go to the toilet while they're eating. If there is hay anywhere else they will wee there too so keep hay just to litter trays or in a hay rack. If it's on the floor it will get peed on!

I put the litter tray in the corner and they used it...

I always put hay in their little trays, they do like to munch while they pee! :lol:

I used to fill half of Bobbin's cage with Megazorb, the other half has vetbed. I put the litter tray (also with Megazorb and hay in) in the far corner of the half filled with Megazorb. When he seemed to be pooping and weeing just on the Megazorbed areas I gradually cut the Megazorb back so that eventually it was only left in the litter tray.

Bobbin soon got the idea. Make sure your litter tray is quite big, Bobbin is only a mini lop but I had one of those small corner ones and he didn't like it. Now I have a standard size cat one in there.

Crystal just trained herself after her Spey and Misty.... well hes still learning not quite getting the hang of this litter tray lark :rolleyes:

When I got Zakura I just put a litter box in her cage and put sawdust in there, and nowhere else. (She had some hay for a "bed" but apart from that the cage was all clean) She used the litter box from day 1:D (or week 7 of her life:lol: )

Sasuke I got at 3 months, and I didn't really expect him to be very well litter trained being an unneutered buck and all...but I quickly realized he would only do his business in a particular corner. So I put a litter box there...he pushed it away and weed under it:shock: Put it back, he pushed it away, tried to give him a larger box, he STILL pushed it away, put in the lower-part of the transport cage and he STILL wouldn't leave it alone.
After a while I gave up, but then he moved inside, and I tied the litter box up to the corner of the cage using a wire from a water bottle. :lol: (He had another thinner wire before but it broke) and now he uses it. He still tries to move it occasionally but I think he's finally given up.

Aroma...I tried...and failed (she had taken a liking to weeing on her pillow and my stuffed animals)...She's not neutered either but then again neither was the other two when I first got them (even up to this date only Zakura is neutered, she was 2 years then and have always used a litter box) so I don't really know what her problem is.
Now she's an outdoor rabbit so it doesn't really matter. But I plan on trying again when I get the new cages, perhaps she'll be easier once she's fully grown :D

Sorry, it was dead easy for my two. But bear in mind mine were 2 years old and had been neutered, so no stroppy hormonal behaviour to contend with.

I just put a litter box in the corner they pee'd and poop'd in constistently and they just hopped straight in and started using them right away. I had to change the size and shape a few times, as they are quite big and pee'd over the edge of some of the smaller ones and didn't fit in the high sided corner ones. We now use two large cat litter trays and havn't had an accident since they were introduced

They now use a tray where ever I put one, so although they are outdoor buns, if they hop through the patio door and end up in the lounge needing a pee. They find their box in the corner and go.

My buns always went in a particular spot so I just put a litter tray there so it was pretty easy. They do still do the occasional poop elsewhere and like all males, sometimes when they wee, the miss the target completely:lol:

Back