• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What kind of stuff in bunnies cage?

Wuzzy

Warren Scout
I have a bun now for 8 months or so now. He has been outside with free run. It's been perfect but now things have changed. He will have run of the back yard during the day and will have to be in a cage at night. I'm going to by him the 42 inch dog cage and build a shelf in it. Other than his food what do you put in there? Do people have a area with wood pellets for pooping with hay in it and keep the rest of the cage floor bare> with maybe a towel and paper? Toys I know. But what really is the happiest set up for single bunnies in their cages?

By the way, he is in Florida so it's nice and warm here with cool nights in the winters. No problems with the cold here.

A teddy bear sometimes helps single buns. A litter tray with Megazorb or Carefresh in it with hay in one corner. I use hay and straw for the rest of the floor, but I haven't mastered litter training yet so
this may be the wrong approach.

i use newspaper on the bottom of Alvins crate, he has a great time shredding it... in the litter tray i use wood pellets litter with hay in the corner of the tray for him to munch... i put the litter tray in the place he picked to go loo so we dont have any accidents at all....well wee wise...lol...

hes got a baby blanket if he feels the need to snuggle but that just get thrown around..

:wave: I have got lino on the bottom of my cage. They have wood based litter in their tray. They have a shelf my boyfriend built in it with lino on and a wooly jumper they like sleeping on on it. Then they have their food and wter and moneral blocks and lots of toys and things to chew and throw around. Even though it is not too cold you will prob need some kind of box for him to snuggle in for security as well as if he feels cold - also some kind of cover otherwise everything will get covered in dew every night?

I just have a big storage box like I mentioned in your other thread, with hay in, and a small mat for them to sit on - I worry if they eat newspaper it might block their stomach up, and they seem to like bare floor if they have a big box to sit in - the mat is just to make it less slippery for them (rabbits hate to walk on slippery flooring)

In my crates I have a washable door mat to stop them slipping over, a section of vetbed each for them to sleep on/ throw around!
Also I have a washing up bowl in the corner which has a lining of newspaper then megazorb then hay and that is where they go to the toilet.
The rest of it is food bowl and toys! (and sometimes a cardboard box but neither of them are shredders or hiders really)

Caspian cage is lined with newspaper, a litter tray with straw in one corner and a furry mat on the floor. He has his 'randy' rabbit friend in there with him too (a bean bag bunny), some wooden toys to chew, a hay rack, food bowl and water bottle.

Buster has plastic sheeting on the floor and a nice thick bit of vetbed on one side to keep him snug. He has a nest ball, tunnel, and a bridge. Lots of play toys a litter tray and a hay rack.

This indoors with some vet bed down basically.

inthegarden025.jpg

bedroom058.jpg

Bobbin loves to lay on the bare plastic floor, so I just leave it on one side and put vet bed in the other half.

His litter tray is filled with Megazorb and sits in the bare corner below the two hay racks.

He has a hidey house in the far corner with the vetbed underneath... though he doesn't like sleeping in there and much prefers sleeping on top of it. So I fold a towel to the right size and lay it on top. Also because they tend to do their soft poos at night the towel can get dirty, but it's easy to wash :thumb:

If your bun isn't litter trained he may dirty the bare floor. Before Bobbin got the idea of the litter tray the bare half of his cage was covered in megazorb, I gradually cut the Megazorb down so it was only remaining in his tray... with lots of hay at one end of course... he soon got the idea :D

Another idea seeing as you live in a lovely hot pert of the world would be to buy a marble slab that he can lay on to cool down.

Back