• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit hates me and everyone else

oki_180sx

New Kit
aren't rabbits supposed to be loveable? well mine is far from it. i don't really understand why either. any time i try to pet her, she runs away and hides in her cage under her little wooden house thing. If i do manage to get her cornered and pet her, she'll grunt and try and bite me. so does anyone have any tips to make her loveable?

second happy hopper.....if you've only had her a few days/weeks she is probably quite scared. It takes time to build trust with rabbits and it is usually recomended that you leave them to settle in for a day or so before starting to touch them and at least a week before you pick them up.

The best way to gain trust is but sitting in their run quitely with a book or radio and let them approach you. After a few hours, when they approach you give them a treat. Repeat for a couple of days.

After a couple of days try touching the bun when giving food and hand feed all food if possible. Hopefully they will get to the point where they will quite happily munch a spring green leaf whilst you stroke them and then eventually allow you to stroke them without food.

Only then would I start thinking about picking a bun up and then only for seconds, low off the ground and reward with food. Gradually build up over time.

It's taken my scittish rescue close to 3 months to allow me to stroke her without food and she still runs off 50% of the time...but I keep going as I think she will get better over time.

The second possibility for your rabbit if you have had her for a little while is that she is starting to get hormonal and is defending her terratory. In this case spaying might help.

It just takes time... you have to let them do it their own way :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised she grunts if you corner her, that must be quite scary! :shock:

Just sit there and let them approach you. Offer a healthy treat to gain their trust and let her eat it from your hand, hold it in the very tips of your fingers if you are scared of her nipping. She shouldn't though, mine is very gentle when taking treats.

Speak to her in a calm soothing voice.

Don't worry though, she will come to trust you I'm sure :thumb:

is she neutered? how old is she? perhaps its a teenage phase she may grow out of? The Rabbit Welfare Association do great articles on behaviour, i would give them a look.
The most important thing ive found to remember is rabbits are prey animals, we will never fully understand them because we are predators, so its natural to be surprised by her reactions. Rabbits need more time than a cat or dog to build trusting relationships,
best wishes with your rabbit,
pinky

My girls have turned like that too. They have started their hormone stage so I think it's just hormones. They were ok before, so that's why I think their behaviour is just hormones. If she has always been like this, maybe you haven't bonded.

Back