• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you put an age on a bun?

Flopsy is off to meet Lottie at the RSPCA this Saturday.

Lottie was taken in as a stray so has no background info. I don't mind in the least how old she is as long as they get on but is there anyway by looking at a bun you can tell how old they? I am not even sure what breed she is!:shock:

Might sound a silly question but I am just curious.

Will post piccies if all goes well and look forward to guess the age!:lol:

A vet can usually narrow it to under 6 months, under 18 months and then it gets more difficult until around the 5 year mark.

Some check teeth but that really dosn't give a reliable indication due to things such as uneven teeth wear and diet related discolouration.

Some check teeth but that really dosn't give a reliable indication due to things such as uneven teeth wear and diet related discolouration.

I agree, Sooz, my oldies have exactly the same teeth as my youngsters.

It's pretty easy to tell a youngish bun from an elderly one....having a good feel at their body underneath their fur can tell you a lot, i.e. can you feel their spine and hips sticking out?

Young females won't have a big dewlap, and the dewlap of old females will be sagging under the effects of gravity (like women's boobies :oops: :lol: )

Also I find that older buns tend to have thicker nails...Don't know if anybody else has come accross this??????

Amy

Also I find that older buns tend to have thicker nails...Don't know if anybody else has come accross this??????

Amy

Yes !!

And the nail on the outer toes often curls upwards in older Buns even though the nail itself is not overgrown and in need of cutting :? :?

Janex

Cool, this is one of those threads that I have no input for, but I've just learnt about five different things on the space of 2mins! :shock: :D

Thanks guys! :wave:

I can remember she has a big roll under her chin - is this her dewlap?:oops:

Am I wise to bond an 8 month old with an older rabbit or do you think I should keep to same age? RSPCA didn't give me a lot of info on her.

i would say to keep them to around the same ahe as i was told that bunnies need to be brought up together from young. Dont take my word for that tho as it was only what i was told.
Good luck anyway :)

when i adopted pebbles from the rspca all they knew is she was 'young'but they werent sure, this was jus by the owners info. I adopted her for my five month olf boy and was quite worried that i had adopted an older girl and they wudn thave as much time together. but since bringing her home shes fille dout and her coat has become more defined so i know she hadnt even reached adulthood at time of adoption.

I can remember she has a big roll under her chin - is this her dewlap?:oops:

Am I wise to bond an 8 month old with an older rabbit or do you think I should keep to same age? RSPCA didn't give me a lot of info on her.

Yes, that's her dewlap! You can definitely say she's over a year old. You'd have to go have a look at her before you can make any decisions.

Personally I wouldn't bond an 8 month old with a very old rabbit, but you'll be able to gauge how old she is by how lively and active she is when you meet her.

Good luck :thumb:

Amy

I have been to see her without Flopsy and she was just sat at the front of her run. She never moved all the time we were watched and talking to her.

When we went out the back with the man from the RSPCA he just said she was very docile and sweet natured. He picked her up and she didn't wriggle at all.

She didn't seem very active at all. I did ask if the vet had put an age on her and the lady just told me it was difficult to do and hadn't put even an approximate age on her.

I have, sadly, decided not to opt for this bun. As much as she was lovely I am rather worried about the age thing. Its not that I mind having an older bun its just not fair to my Flopsy to get him a wife and then she passes away.

I have, you will be happy to know, found another bun at Paws for Thought Rescue. She is a year old (Flopsy is 8 month) female who has had a litter but has now been spayed. She only has a mane like Flopsy and I think in my heart of hearts this bun is more suitable for him.

I am waiting for an email to set up a meeting. Her name is Martha.

I didn't think it would be soooooo stressful to find him a wife.:shock:

Just hope he likes her and she likes him when they do meet.

Back