• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lunging rabbit

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I posted about my dutch x being a bit of a charachter. She is only 9 weeks old but today she lunged and grunted at me. I didn't scare her or anything. What is the best way to deal with this as I dont want to get bitten?
Sallyx

She's a bit young for hormones I'd have though but possible. Were you reaching into her hutch/litter tray/food bowl? She might have been protecting her turf.

If it's lunging when you get her food bowl, use two bowls, so there is always one in there.

If it's territory, try putting her in her run while you clean her out.

My friend has a rabbit that lunges, although he seems to do it more for show then anything else.

I was reaching towards her slowly, and she grunted and lunged toward me, I quickly removed my hand so it didn't get bitten, I just dont want it to become a big problem.
Sallyx

Try not to make fast movements though - that might be seen as a threat & make her worse. Wear a glove. Then you won't move too fast & scare her if she can't hurt you. She needs to believe hands are only good things.

Is her general co-ordination good?

Sometimes aggression can be a by product of poor vision.....they become over defensive against what they cannot see just incase its a threat to them.

Try not to make fast movements though - that might be seen as a threat & make her worse. Wear a glove. Then you won't move too fast & scare her if she can't hurt you. She needs to believe hands are only good things.

Thank you for the advice, I will make sure I am really gentle and slow when I put my hands in. I think a glove is a good idea:lol:
Sallyx

Is her general co-ordination good?

Sometimes aggression can be a by product of poor vision.....they become over defensive against what they cannot see just incase its a threat to them.

I think her vision is fine, she seems to keep a good idea of what direction I am moving in:lol: . Bless her she is so lovely just a bit scared.
Sallyx

Is Harvey really that bad? I had put it down to being poked by the little girl on a regular basis :?

oven mits are the best.

I no longer use them for Calel though now. I'm well-brave. If I'm slow & talk to him, he's fine with me.

My new Sooz-foster is a different matter though;)

I couldn't stop laughing, I just had this vision in my head:lol: :lol:
Sallyx

Maa is a total sweetie but she boxes when she thinks I've got food, and bit my glove once when I was too slow letting go the dish - she loves her grub so I always wear gloves when I put her dish in - Sweet little Benny even bit me once, so it's gloves on with him too - and then there was dear Tia - even got a bite off her at feeding time so I conclude they will actually kill for a dish of SS :lol:

I have trained Maa to hop up the other end of the hutch at feeding time - she knows I won't put the dish in till she's gone up there - clever girl :D

Maa is a total sweetie but she boxes when she thinks I've got food, and bit my glove once when I was too slow letting go the dish - she loves her grub so I always wear gloves when I put her dish in - Sweet little Benny even bit me once, so it's gloves on with him too - and then there was dear Tia - even got a bite off her at feeding time so I conclude they will actually kill for a dish of SS :lol:

I have trained Maa to hop up the other end of the hutch at feeding time - she knows I won't put the dish in till she's gone up there - clever girl :D

Note to self: change their food:lol:

Calel hops into a pet carrier if I put one down. I lock him in, & then clean his bit out:lol:

Sooz - Harvey gives plenty of warning. He's definitely territorial - can't touch him when he's eating, but long as you move slowly not that bad. Probably better after neuter. He's a baby when he's being held - just the actual pick-up - so probably IS the way he's been treated

Hopefully we can help him then.

Caspian nips me when I feed him if I dont give him a nose rub first. With Willow I run my hand down her back to take it into the cage and then pick her bowl up.

It's threads like this that put me off getting bunnies for so long - I was terrified :lol:

My 4 girls are so lovely though - they will stand in a line waiting for their bromelain tablets to be individually hand fed (too fiddly for gloves on!) and never bite or go for me even when they're in a feeding frenzy at veg time, although they'll give each other a nip - they are just perfect so I needn't have worried :)

Back