• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you stop feeling responsible...U/D Vets Report

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
when you lose a rabbit through a decision you have made?

Angie text me about an hour ago to tell me her foster bunny Harley had not made it through her spey :(

It was a necessary procedure but I feel swamped with guilt, I made the decision to neuter her.

Does it ever get any easier?

:cry: :cry:

Last edited:
Awwww, big hugs and sorry to hear the bad news :cry: :cry:

If its any comfort, I think most people would make the same decision, you shouldn't blame yourself.

So sorry to hear about this Sooz. :cry: :cry: :cry:

You do what you have to do, and unfortunately sometimes it doesn't work out. I'm a believer that things happen for a reason, and although you can't work out why, sometimes you just have to accept that life can be very cruel at times.

For me personally if I didn't have spays done, I'd always be waiting and wondering if something was going to happen.

Sorry. That all sounds silly but it's not coming out very well.

Binky free Harley.

Rebec :(

Last edited:
I dont think you should beat yourself up about this Sooz. Spays are generally done like clockwork and not many are fatal. We all know how important it is to spay a bunny. Thinking of both you and Angie and Im so very sorry. Binky free Harley.

You were trying to make her life better and prevent possible cancer... it's what anyone would have done. It's ironic and maybe that's why this one is particularly hard. At least you know she went peacefully under GA.

So sorry :cry: binky free little girl xxx

Don't blame yourself or feel guilty, I know it must be hard but I truly believe everyone and everything has its time. She could have got cancer without a spey and died a lot more slowly, atleast she passed peacefully to the Bridge.
xx

I know some of you wont agree with this and I expect to get plenty of hate mail, but Harley's was an emergency spey and her circumstances were pretty dire. :cry: :cry:

Thats why I am feeling particularly bad right now.

Usually if they loose a rabbit via anaesthetic it's because of an underlying undetected complication. So, for example a heart problem. I imagine it would be also be upsetting to send a bun off to a new home and then the owners be devastated to loose the bunny to heart failure.

You make the decision based on the info you have to hand - that's all you can do really :(

Yes, we lost Chloe to a heart defect under GA.

Angie is taking Harvey (Harleys partner) in for a check up tonight so we will find out exactly what happened then.

You're the only one who can make a decision, based on whatever you are faced with. No-one else knows what the situation is or was and I don't feel judgements should be made when the full facts aren't known.

Sorry you've had this upset.

Hugs to you.

Rebec :)

You're the only one who can make a decision, based on whatever you are faced with. No-one else knows what the situation is or was and I don't feel judgements should be made when the full facts aren't known.

Sorry you've had this upset.

Hugs to you.

Rebec :)

Very well said. You've done what you felt was best for this bun. Nobody can do more than that.
Hugs to you.
Binky free Harley x x x

I believe we all do what we think to be right for a particular Bun based on what we know of the Bun and on a trusted Vet's advice. Sadly sometimes a tragedy occurs :cry: I can fully understand why you feel 'responsible' as I know I would too. But just because we may be 'responsible' for making a decision does *not* mean it is our FAULT if something goes wrong due to circumstances beyond anyones control.

I have lost 2 Does during a spay in the 10 years I have had Rabbits. Had I then never had another Doe spayed I would probably have lost 20+ to Uterine Cancer

Janex

I bloody hate spays..... I really feel for you Sooz, after the last spay I vowed never again however then there are the risks of you rehoming and them having an accidental litter or of the bun getting cancer. Hugs coming your way xxxx

when you lose a rabbit through a decision you have made?

Angie text me about an hour ago to tell me her foster bunny Harley had not made it through her spey :(

It was a necessary procedure but I feel swamped with guilt, I made the decision to neuter her.

Does it ever get any easier?

:cry: :cry:

*HUUUUGGGGSSSSS* i really doubt it gets easier.... but if you didnt find it really hard you wouldnt be rescuing the innocents youve got a lovely heart and will always find it painful... hope you feel better soon
xxxxxxxxxxx

I believe we all do what we think to be right for a particular Bun based on what we know of the Bun and on a trusted Vet's advice. Sadly sometimes a tragedy occurs :cry: I can fully understand why you feel 'responsible' as I know I would too. But just because we may be 'responsible' for making a decision does *not* mean it is our FAULT if something goes wrong due to circumstances beyond anyones control.

I have lost 2 Does during a spay in the 10 years I have had Rabbits. Had I then never had another Doe spayed I would probably have lost 20+ to Uterine Cancer

Janex

Spot on.

I lost one of my own buns about 6 years ago during a routine spay, I was the nurse and the vet was a good friend and great vet and experienced. Sadly when we did a pm we found nothing but collapsed lungs (which could have occured from us trying to resuss) so sent off samples and found that she had a heart defect :( We were both really upset but it hasn't stopped me from continuing to neuter any rabbit deemed fit by a vet on appearances and that is the only bun ive lost during a routine op for the last 15 years.

Hugs for you Sooz.

So sorry this has happened. :(

Jane's right though. You have to give the bun a chance at the best life it can have. a life where it's fairly certain they will get uterine cancer is not something that any of us wants to create for our buns and it would be heart breaking to watch a bun suffer with this.

These things happen. It's sad but you made the decision you thought was best at the time.

The vet has said the babies were already dead when they started operating. Harley also had an under developed uterus, her owner said she was 14 months old but the vet has put her at less than 6 months :cry: :cry:

I wonder what would have happened if we hadn't had her speyed.....would she have died anyway?

The vet has said the babies were already dead when they started operating. Harley also had an under developed uterus, her owner said she was 14 months old but the vet has put her at less than 6 months :cry: :cry:

I wonder what would have happened if we hadn't had her speyed.....would she have died anyway?

I'm not sure but with an under developed uterus and dead babies inside her it doesn't sound good does it? xxxxxxx

Back