• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping Rowan occupied

Tempest

Warren Scout
I guess some backstory will be needed. Rowan lives alone outside she'll be four this december. She was going to be spayed this summer with the aim of getting her a friend and to prevent cancer, but was diagnosed with EC so I had to get that sorted out first. Provided she's EC free I'm getting her spayed next spring when it warms up (I can't bring her in as we have no room and theres my dog who wouldn'y hurt her on purpose, but doesn't realise his own strength, so it needs to be warmer than it is).

I already spend several hours out there a day, talking to her, petting her hiding her treats about so she can hunt them down etc (regardless of the weather, I may end up getting very wet, but she doesn't so its ok! Lol). But I found out she has mites as well so all of her toys had to be removed as they where card and wood and couldn't really be disinfected like her hutch, and everything needs to be disinfected every two weeks for a month while she's having her mite treatment. So what I need are some homemade toy ideas that can be replaced easily to keep her happy when I'm not out there. She has a kitchen roll tube at the moment, but thats the extent of my creativity! Any toy ideas that can be saftly disinfected would be appericated as well, thanks :D

Last edited:
Stuff a toilet roll tube with hay
Boxes from things like toothpaste
plant pots (plastic ones)
If you buy a willow ring it won't last long enough to have to be disinfected - I gave one to Melanie and Prince last night and it lasted an hour before it became a half eaten pile of twigs!! :roll: They had fun though!!;)

Stuff a toilet roll tube with hay
Boxes from things like toothpaste
plant pots (plastic ones)
If you buy a willow ring it won't last long enough to have to be disinfected - I gave one to Melanie and Prince last night and it lasted an hour before it became a half eaten pile of twigs!! :roll: They had fun though!!;)

Thanks for responding so quickly :D. I'm now going to raid the recycling bin for some boxes and tubes to stuff with hay and see abouty getting a willow ring from the pet shop :D

i have a plastic ball with a jingly thing inside that my rabbits love, it could easily be dipped in disinfectant then rinsed. :)

Scamp puts his teeth through the hole to carry it around :lol: I had to swap treat balls though, he kept jumping on a box and dropping it off over and over until it split in half and he could eat the food :shock: :lol: He was a bit miffed the new one doesn't split in half ;)

Thanks everyone.. I never thought of a treatball before, and it makes so much sense as my dog has one, no reason Rowan shouldn't, its perfect too as she's very food motivated :lol:

I've not seen a ball with a jingly bit inside, not for rabbits anyway. Will I find that in the cat section? I'll see if she likes one of those as well :)

Thanks everyone.. I never thought of a treatball before, and it makes so much sense as my dog has one, no reason Rowan shouldn't, its perfect too as she's very food motivated :lol:

I've not seen a ball with a jingly bit inside, not for rabbits anyway. Will I find that in the cat section? I'll see if she likes one of those as well :)

I have jut bought my bun a treat ball - from pets at home. Think I saw the ones with jingly balls in there as well - both in the bunny section.

I found mine on holiday in penzance and havnt been able to find another since. theyre pink and purple and said on the label "for all small pets". but because both my girls wanted one i made a new one by getting a small hamster ball and putting a cat bell inside to jingle around.

Thanks again, I found the jingly ball you where talking about at my local petshop :) sadly they didn't have any treatballs so I may have to nip into pets at home in the near future and see if they have them.

I put the jingle ball in her hutch, gave it a shake and she just sort of looked at as if to say "It makes noise.....erm, why is it doing that?" It managed to catch her attention from eating for a few moments so hopefully it'll be a winner :lol:

My two love their football and chase it around the lounge, they also have a rat (plastic) with bell and treats / pellets can be stuffed inside, I got this for about £2 from the pet shop :D

We also use the boxes from tea bags, egg boxes etc and put a few pellets inside and leave them to chuck these about and chew through them. Charlie is quite an expert now. Just be careful your bunny can't get his head stuck, we once used a cardboard gravy tub and he got it temporarily stuck on his head :oops:

Thanks, a football is another great idea I didn't think of! I've still not managed to get her a treat ball, I keep looking but the local petshop caters more towards cats and dogs. And none of those toys seem suitable for her. But she does have a cardboard box she can run in and out of as well, I stuffed it with bedding so she could sleep in it if she wanted and she seems to have spent most of the night pulling it all out! :rolleyes:

But at least she's happy, I went out with morning and she was sprawled out on this heap of bedding she'd pulled out looking at me as if to say "It's far better this way! :lol:

Back