• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

show me your hay!

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I've read quite a few times here that it's important for the ahy you give your rabbits to be of high quality, could anyone oblige by posting a closeup pic of some good hay? iu have a few pet shops here and all the hay is subtly different and i'd like to know what's best. thankyou!

I don't have a pic (I'm at work) But the hay I get is green, fine and smells lovely!! Green and fresh is best. It should smell sweet and not musty or mouldy.

I don't have a picture either I'm afraid but I think the stuff I get is quite good. It's from the Hay Experts and is made by the Alfalfa King, US company (although it's Timothy Hay, not Alfalfa). It's very green and has both stalky and grassy bits. Some of the bits are a bit short but there plenty of good long pieces too.

I have ordered good hay from UK based suppliers too but I hear because of the UK weather it's not as reliable, so I went for this pre-packed US stuff... Bobbin highly approves! :D

https://www.thehayexperts.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_21&products_id=268

Will try and get some pics up later ;)

My latest bag of hay isnt green... most is a yellow colour/ dark brown... well packed and i have to tear it out the bag to get any out.... my two seem to like it very much ... even Bunnie the N.Dwarf been eating it... and he doesn't eat that much hay.

I don't have a piccie either but all I can say is I go by the smell! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to buy expensive hay (Timothy) vacume packed from P@H and the rabbits used to nibble but I bought a large bag of fresh hay (meadow) from a different shop which smells divine and the rabbits can't get enough. I'm having to fill the hay rack twice a day and they race towards me like I'm giving them treats! :lol: :lol:

I buy hay at school. One large square of hay is about the same price as the tiny packages you get at the pet shop:roll: I think its timothy hay, but I'm not quite sure. The buns like it though:D (Aroma almost eats too much :lol: )
Attack.jpg

Here's a picture that shows the hay inside the house and in the hay rack, behind Zakura.

I've just switched to hay experts and the buns love it. Bobby and Nibbles are constantly nibbling on it. It was ace to watch Nibbles pull the really big bits out the hay rack and be surprised at the legnth and almost fall over backwards. :lol:

Just got my first delivery from hay experts and was so astonished about the quality ,that I actually took a picture of some sample packs to show on the Dutch forum.

So here goes...if you look real close you see the names of the hay. Mine love the dried grass, but I wonder why that is so much more expensive than the hay?
IMGP1816.jpg

the hay experts has a great range of hay. My buns favourite is the timothy hay by alfalfa king. they eat almost every bit and actually go for that first rather than their dried food which amazed me! the sample bags are a great idea as you can give them a try and let your bunny choose which they like!

Back