• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wont go in the run...

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Why do you think my bunnies wont go in their run? It is attached to their hutch and have access in the daytime. It is 9 x 3 so a decent size and is on concrete. But they just sit in the hutch ALL THE TIME!!!

They have a cardboard box to hide and jump in, and various balls and twigs etc to play with...

Will the concrete be putting them off, and if so, what can I do? Could they feel nervous being in the "open"? Although there is netting all over the run? There is also plastic over the top so they wont get wet. The run is against the wall one side so it is quite sheltered.

I have run out of ideas but dont want them sitting inside all day doing nothing...

How long have they had the run?

Perhaps they do feel safer in the hutch?

Not sure what to suggest as my rabbits spend the majority of their time in the run and not the hutch.

Hannah

Had the run for ages. As long as they have been in the hutch. Just dont get it. The hutch/run is right outside the back door so I can keep an eye on them and it is a sheltered area. Dont want to move them onto the grass area as I wont ever see them.

Now its colder mine are spending more time snuggled in their hutch than running around outside even though I leave the hutch door open.

Mine's on concrete and they spend all their time in the run, so the advice I was given was if they like spending their time in their run, let them, I'd say to you don't worry if they prefer their hutch. If you don't already perhaps you could give them their greens in the run to encourage them out??

how about putting an old blanket over the run to make it feel properly enclosed and safer and more like part of the hutch? you could put a few bits of their fave food out to tempt them out there to see it is ok nthe run really and actually lots of fun!

I always staple tarpaulin to two sides om my rabbits runs so they don't feel so exposed, and to cut down on the wind chill.
Maybe they're just lazy bunnies:lol:

Thanks for the replies!!

I might roof the run with wood and then could do the sides with wood and just leave "window" areas. Make it more an extension of the hutch I suppose... I used to feed them in the run but with all the netting it got a bit harder to keep lifiting the lid up... will look at going back to that area for feeding.

Also I have today bought more toys to go in the run.

Whilst out I did also buy some doormats to put down in the hutch to make it warmer in the "living room" area. They will have carpeting and newspapers and then I have also got lots of straw for that area too to go on top as they like snuggling in.

Not spoilt at all ;)

Back