• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant Rabbits

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
After a discussion, my husband has said I can have a giant rabbit for one of my christmas presents, Can I have some ideas of your setups other than in the house, we have a massive shed, which he would go in, what size space is good for a giant, obviously the bigger the better. Our Shed accomodates a few other things (Nothing Harmful) my husband is going to section off the shed so there is plenty of space. I just wanted to get some feedback if I can. Also a bit more about giant's personalities. I will be doing plenty of research before I go and get one.Thanks
Sallyx

My giant is in the house so I can't help with outdoor setups.

Mine has a lovely temperament but very mischievous!! Very loving. They need to get used to handling asap or you'll have a terrible time when they grow up - imagine getting a frightened rabbit the sixe of a dog to the vet!

I can't speak for others but my giant, Melanie, is incredibly bright and will poke her nose into everything!!

Will he/she be getting a friend? Always better in twos :D
Also, would you attatch a run to the shed to give free access to excercise/outdoor space?

Thanks for your reply, I will definitely handle alot, my other rabbits get all my attention:lol: so that's not a problem. Your rabbit sounds lovely.
Sallyx

Will he/she be getting a friend? Always better in twos :D
Also, would you attatch a run to the shed to give free access to excercise/outdoor space?

I will definitely get a friend at some point but not straight away, all my rabbits are in pairs. Also, my garden has been completely rabbit proofed with wire so there can be no escaping they also have plenty of access to it, our back garden is over 100ft long so they have plenty of exercise to run around, with me keeping an eye on them constantly.
Sallyx

so many different types, flemish, continental and so on. I really like the yellow, and opal colours all of them are gorgeous.
Sallyx

I have already been on the wood green animal website:lol: , I dont know what I am going to do yet.
Sallyx

we have a conti giant, steel agouti. she is the most loving bunny, she has such a distinct character. she is cheeky and will follow you anywhere in the hope of more food. i thought she was always hungry at 1st but it turns out she's just greedy.lol. after getting a giant i couldn't imagine having a smaller bunny. we had a 6x2x2 hutch when we first got her (9 weeks as her mother didn't look after her anymore) as she was quite small and i didn't want her to be scared in a huge hutch. but she has now out grown this which is ok because i couldn't bear the thought of her being outside so she's an indoor bunny now.:lol: ...i could go on all day about giants but i should be writing an essay...oops!

I have a pair of conti giants in a 10x6 shed. I haven't got any pics of the inside, but they have a dog kennel in there which is full of bedding,one litter tray inside and one outside in the run, and inside three different height levels to jump up and down on, as they like to eat up highfor some reason. They also have a horse net to munch from.

I am a total giant convert - they are just very similar to having a small dog. Both of mine are gentle but very cheeky and full of fun. They binky like mad when they come out in the garden and tear around like a pair of nutters, but at night time we sit on the floor in the shed and they snuggle alongside each other and we have a good half hour snuggle session when they both chill out completely. Both of them are happy to be picked up, and readily approach any one who is in the garden. They don't seem as hesitant as the smaller buns.
What a fantastic Christmas present, but I'd definately get your giant a friend.
My two love each other so much that it sometimes brings tears to my eyes :D

2007_0419Image0054.jpg

:wave: Sally ! Just noticed a conti giant on Rabbits in Need section new today :D Aww Im chuffed to bits for you :D Ahem no bun napping mine please :shock: :D :lol:

I have a pair of conti giants in a 10x6 shed. I haven't got any pics of the inside, but they have a dog kennel in there which is full of bedding,one litter tray inside and one outside in the run, and inside three different height levels to jump up and down on, as they like to eat up highfor some reason. They also have a horse net to munch from.

I am a total giant convert - they are just very similar to having a small dog. Both of mine are gentle but very cheeky and full of fun. They binky like mad when they come out in the garden and tear around like a pair of nutters, but at night time we sit on the floor in the shed and they snuggle alongside each other and we have a good half hour snuggle session when they both chill out completely. Both of them are happy to be picked up, and readily approach any one who is in the garden. They don't seem as hesitant as the smaller buns.
What a fantastic Christmas present, but I'd definately get your giant a friend.
My two love each other so much that it sometimes brings tears to my eyes :D

2007_0419Image0054.jpg

wow your set up is fab, our shed is 10x12 so definitely enough space. I agree 2 would be better than one. Also this might seem a silly question but does it cost more to spey/neuter giants? I cant wait to get mine. Thanks again for your post your set up is really great.
Sallyx

:wave: Sally ! Just noticed a conti giant on Rabbits in Need section new today :D Aww Im chuffed to bits for you :D Ahem no bun napping mine please :shock: :D :lol:

Thanks, I cant wait to get them, just need to get the shed all set up first.
Sallyx

My Frenchies were the same price for spay and neuter as normal sized bunnies :D
edited because I was rushing :lol:

The rescue was charged a bit more for neutering the ginats, but I wasn't charged any more for my frenchie, so I guess it depends on how the vet is feeling that day:D

Back