• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

males fighting

lottielou

New Kit
can anyone help me. I bought two females from the pet shop but when I took them to the vets I found I actually had two males.
They lived together at the pet shop but one is slightly older then the other. one is about 5 months the other 6.
They have lived quite happily togehter with the odd fight but yesterday I found them in the run covered in blood with fur everywhere.
I have seperated them but can not do this long term.
i have spoken to the vets who have told me that even if they are neutered it is no guarentee it will stop them fighting and advised me to rehome one.
can anyone give me advice as I really don't want to do this but if it is my only option then i will

I'd advise getting them both neutered and then trying to rebond them, males can live together quite happily. Unfortunately when you found out they were males you should have been advised to neuter them asap to prevent this happening. There is no guarantee that two rabbits who have fought will go back together, but it's not impossible. Good Luck!

:wave: I would go down the neutering route and rebonding before any rehoming drastic action. When it comes to bonding lots of people on here can give you advice.:D

I definately agree with Chloe... but I must add something to this too.

I purchased both Jamie and Kitt from petshops - purchased them as girls, the vet even sexed them both as girls... but later re-sexed them both as boys!!! They lived fine together apart from a few minor tussles but they seemed happy together. I had them neutered and about 2 months ago I discovered Kitt with his side sliced open... the vet thinks it was Jamie because of old bite wounds, but I can't confirm or deny this as I didn't see anything.

2 bucks can live together, but it's harder than 2 spayed females or a male female couple... hope everything works out for you xx

Ps: I was faced with a decision your vet has put to you... Ive kept both males, one is a house rabbit, the other lives outdoors with a new girlfriend.

Back