• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can rabbits get colds?

sunflower4357

Young Bun
I keep both my rabbits in the garage but its freezing in theire, suppose its better in there than being outside. When I went to check on Sophie tonight, she was breathing heavily, im not sure if it sounded like a blocked nose or not? She is acting normal and seems ok but Im a bit worried, You can only hear the noise when you go really really close to her. Is there anything I can check or anything I should do?

Cheers

I keep both my rabbits in the garage but its freezing in theire, suppose its better in there than being outside. When I went to check on Sophie tonight, she was breathing heavily, im not sure if it sounded like a blocked nose or not? She is acting normal and seems ok but Im a bit worried, You can only hear the noise when you go really really close to her. Is there anything I can check or anything I should do?

Cheers

Rabbits can get Respiratory Tract infections. Those effecting the Upper Respiratory Tract are refered to as 'Snuffles'. This presents with sneezing and a white discharge from the nostrils. The insides of the Buns front paws are often sticky from wiping their nose.
Sometimes the infection can effect the Lower Respiratory Tract. This can be very serious and lead to Pneumonia. If your Rabbit has noisey breathing I would advise you to consult a Vet ASAP. *If* there is any infection the sooner treatment is started the better

Janex :)

Have you noticed her breathing like this before? Molly breathes like it normally.

Has she got a wet nose at all?

I just found this info on the net, but there are many threads on here about it too, and i'm sure someone with more knowledge than me can help very very soon:

"if your bunny has no discharge or sneezing with the wet nose then its nothing to worry about if it has any of the symptoms mentioned it could be snuffles which requires veterinary treatment"

Hope bun is ok :D

As far as Im aware I dont think she has a wet nose or wet paws. She doesnt breathe like that normally. I think I will check her in the morning and see how she is, If she is still breathing like that I will get her checked by the vet asap. Aww poor thing, hope its not going to be anything serious :( Thanks for the cuddles :) xx

my bun breathes like this since contracting nodular myxi 2 months ago.

kind of got used to it now and otherwise she seems ok apart from her looks bless her!!:shock: :(

Back