• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I seperate my rabbits?

Kaz Johnson

Young Bun
Hi, I put a question on earlier about my two male mini lops, Fudge and Bam Bam. They are from the same litter, however, Fudge is now mounting Bam Bam:oops: They were only born in mid-August. So far there doesn't appear to be any fighting but I'm wondering whether I should keep them apart until I can get them neutured. I am worried though that they might either miss each other or not be friends once I re-introduce them. Forgive me if my question seems silly, but my two lovely boys are my first ever rabbits and I love them dearly. Any advice about what to do until they are 'done' would be greatly appreciated Thank you :)

I would ask the vet whether they can be neutered now.

My vets will neuter bucks at 12 weeks if their 'bits' have dropped.

Amy

If your buns are just mounting and not fighting I would definately not separate them. If they are persistently having bad scuffles and injuring each other I would separate them.

As these buns are now 3 months old I would immediatly discuss with a local rabbit vetinarian to find out when she is prepared to neuter them. Neutering is the only way for these to calm their hormones down. Many vets will neuter males at 3 months old as soon as their testicles have descended, others will advise waiting until they are 4 months old. http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/neutleaf.htm If these buns are already persistently mounting each other it is likely that you will need to separate them before they reach 6 months old and may find it difficult to pair them back up.

Back