• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnyproof rugs

Missy

Warren Scout
Hiya

I’ve got a bit of a rug problem and wondered what other people with house bunnies use for their buns to lounge on.

Millie is quite destructive and keeps eating the rugs I put down (inc vet bed) but Jack’s a Br Giant and finds the tiled floor in the Utility room too uncomfortable, if there’s no comfy rug he tends to lie in his litter tray all the time. I want to put something comfy down on the floor for them but any ideas what’s Millie proof?

If I use cardboard she’ll chew it, shredded paper she’ll eat it, she already tries to dig at and eat the carpet in the lounge
I was wondering how chew proof the padded dog beds are?

Anyone any idea what I can use or am I being over cautious about her eating it?
I have found her chewing a tassel with a big knot on from a rug and had to pull it out of her mouth, she’s even eaten the rubber on the door mat.

will he lie on carboard if it's there? Mine have a lovely cardboard (packing box) house which they love. It gets chewed but is better for them than chewing carpet and a lot cheaper to replace.

Could you maybe get a couple of the plastic dog beds and even put hay in them? dont know how feesable it would be for you inside. Or how about even a car floor mat? dont know if ur bun would eat the rubber but it should be more comfy than the floor

Hi :wave:

Thanks for the ideas, I’ve got some cardboard boxes from work to try tonight will see how well behaved Millie is with them, wouldn’t be so bad if she just chewed the rugs etc.. but she swallows it all as well.

The plastic dog beds maybe my only alternative but did wonder if they would use them as litter trays as well, creating more cleaning. :roll:
I did find some dog beds that said they were un chewable they are called Tuffies but they are £44 and can't be sure they are Millie proof.

I see loads of photos of other peoples buns all snuggled up on their vet bed or comfy cushions I’d love one for Jack but just can’t trust Millie the Minx.

I know exactly how you feel!
My two downstairs buns eat anything I put down - vetbed, towels whatever.
They lie on the cold lino. Very strange buns I have. Good job I love em.

The dog bed filled with hay will become a litter tray though. Anything full of hay becomes a litter tray. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh yeah they will use it as litter tray for sure! One of mine chews anything like that too! Cant put any cozy beds or anything in there - they would be demolished in an instant! Once a sock of mine fell off the washing line onto the grass. All that remained by the time i noticed was a pile of sock confetti!

I've just ordered some vetbed (purple like Jane's - seems she's something of a trend setter!) so I'm intrigued as to whether it will get eaten!!

At the mo mine just lie on the carpet (the ones that are free range) or in their litter trays (if they're in a dog crate. Good luck finding something! And do post when you find something successful - I'm sure we'd all be interested in your findings!

Minsrel always lies on the nice cold hearth, not sure quite why but its his favourite place, he'll not move for ages and you could mistake him for a lovely rabbit shaped ornament, despite the rug and vet bed i bought for him to lie on!!! But then he also sits out in the run all the time even when its freezing and windy rather than been tucked up in the nice straw filled hutch!

Last edited:
Back