• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice required with fighting please

J

JoBananas

Hi

I have posted on here before about the saga of my 2 male bunnies Sooty (age 2.5) and Sweep (age 1). They are both neutered males and I had a bit of a drama trying to get them bonded after Sweep's op, but persevered and got there in the end. That was about 6 months ago and they seemed to have settled down until now...

They both went to the vets together for their myxsi jabs about a month ago and since then they do not seem to be getting on with each other, every time I go and look at them (they have a three tier jumbo hutch) one is at the top of the ladder peering down at the other and Sweep seems very wary of Sooty.

They had a run around the garden yesterday and they seemed fine, even grooming each other. But this morning there was loads of fur in the their run. So I let them out in the garden again and all was well for an hour and then a huge scuffle broke out with fur everywhere.

I have lost my nerve and split them up - I know this may not be the best thing to have done but I can't bare to go through it all again, and I think it must be awful being shut in an enclosed space with someone you can't stand.

My next question is what should I do now? Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
Jo

I think you have reached the point where I personally would seperate them for good.

I once had a bonded pair of males and made the mistake of persevering with them for two long and Fiver as a consequence now has two shredded ears :(

Both males went on to live with a female partner and Fiver is now part of a trio with another male, who has a much more laidback attitude than his first male companion.

Sometimes rabbits just have personality clashes and we have to accept that they are not going to be happy....or in some circumstances safe....together.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Thank you for your reply Jay. I think that I have tried all I can for these boys, but I guess as you say there must just be a personality clash with them.

I know that every rabbit is different but do you think that I should try each of them with a female bun?

I have spoken to a lovely lady at the RSPCA and they have 2 spayed females who sound perfect.

What do you think?

I think its definately the best thing.

Will the RSPCA let you take them for bonding or bunny dating to make sure they get along?

Yes, if there are any problems they will take them back.

Back