• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microwave Mats

KarinB

Warren Scout
Does anyone use the mats which can be warmed in the microwave for their outdoor buns?

When I went to see the buns this morning they were a bit chilly and wondered whether one of these would be a good idea?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

I have two 'snugglesafes', one for my outdoor buns and one for the pigs. The buns are very scornful of theirs and tend to dig it out and dump it by the hutch door, but the pigs love it :D It seems to depend on the buns in question, but if your guys seemed a bit chilly this morning then I'd definitely give it a go :thumb:

I only use snugglesafes with rabbits who are ill health or elderly and then bring them indoors.

Rabbits often have cool ears, this is not because they are cold this is because their national body defences reduce the supply of blood to the peripheries when it is cold, thus the ears become cooler than the rest of their body and reduces the amount of heat they loose. This is the same natural response why we have cold ears and hands on a cold day like today.

If a rabbit has cold ears this does not mean they are cold, this only confirms that their natural body defences are working. Giving extra bedding helps to keep them warm.

I only use snugglesafes with rabbits who are ill health or elderly and then bring them indoors.

Rabbits often have cool ears, this is not because they are cold this is because their national body defences reduce the supply of blood to the peripheries when it is cold, thus the ears become cooler than the rest of their body and reduces the amount of heat they loose. This is the same natural response why we have cold ears and hands on a cold day like today.

If a rabbit has cold ears this does not mean they are cold, this only confirms that their natural body defences are working. Giving extra bedding helps to keep them warm.

This will be the third winter that we have had our buns and I only put a carpet in front of their hutch if the temperature is going to drop below zero. If the temperature is staying above or at zero their hutch remains uncovered (unless there is heavy rain/snow). My instinct has always been that if I intefere too much with their natural reactions then they will come to depend on my help and won't be able to naturally look after themselves.

There is two of them so they do have each other's body eat to snuggle into.

They have plenty of barley straw and hay in their dark side and pet fleece in their day side.

I think I will follow my instincts and leave them as they are without the help of a microwave mat.

I put my snugglesafe in just incase. the buns dont think that highly of it but at least it gives me some peace of mind that i know if they do feel a bit chilly they have a good source of heat!

My Snuggle safe was invaluable last night... I had a really poorly foster bun and the indoor hutches were already full. I think theyre good to have but wouldnt over-use them. I dont think a pair of bonded buns need one at the mo, its not really cold and they have each other to snuggle. I used to give one to my elderly single bun in the winter too.... they are very useful and very safe.

I have a snugglesafe, and use it only if the temperature is likely to dip below freezing, but it's only used for single foster buns as I think my two can keep each other warm as there's loads of deep bedding as well.

We use them for the outdoor boarders during the colder months and they are great. Got ours off of Ebay, think the seller was called The Grange Garden and Pet Centre or something like that. Paid a lot less than in the shops too:)

I made a cool little box for my two buns and filled it with straw so they could go and make a nest in it, and every morning the straw is mostly all pulled out. Their fur feels really cold at night and in the morning and i worry so much they are too cold.

My 2 have got there vetbed and each other to keep warm and they seem fine. Their hutch is also covered at night.

Back