• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E Cuniculi in baby rabbits....

DaisyMay

Warren Scout
Hi:wave: Basically I have been hand rearing 6 wild rabbits from a week old and they are now 8 weeks old. Sadly we lost 1 at two weeks old to mucoid enteritis and 1 at three weeks old to a head tilt. The others are doing well apart from 1 that appears to have muscle wastage. He is very boney around his back end and shoulders. He isn't gaining weight very well and is about 100grams lighter than the others. I'm thinking that I should treat them all for e-cuniculi but not sure of the dose rate as they weigh about 600 grams and whether its safe to use in babies so young? Any help would be appreciated as i'm very worried.
Emily :D

With regards to worming Panacur now have a worming treatment but it's over 9 days and working out dosaging would be tricky as 1 graduation treats a 2.5kg bunny and you don't want to overdose them. Plus it'll be fiddly treating them all.

To be honest I think you'd be better off phoning your vets tomorrow to get their advice as to whether you should worm them.

T x

Hi,
I had a wildie like this in a litter I was rearing. Like your one he never progressed like the others and was always quite bony. He also had a slight balance problem so was advised to treat for EC. He would of been about 8 weeks old and no more than 400g at the time and was dosed at 1/2 a graduation a day of panacur rabbit for 9 days.
His balance did improve slightly but he only ever reached 500g and at 6 months old he suddenly went downhill and lost weight so was unfortunately PTS. His 4 siblings were fine and were released by 8 weeks old.
I personally don't think EC was ever the problem, I think he was just a runt with possible other problems, as EC is not rife in the wild rabbit population - have yours been in contact with domestic buns?
Still, I don't think it would do any harm to treat them just in case, but I would consult yout vet first. :)

Thank you for replying so quickly:D . I'm a veterinary nurse so will have a chat with the vets at work tomorrow and see what they recommend. :D

The dosage for Panacur is one graduation per 2.5kg so if a rabbit is less than 2.5kg they get one dose, over 2.5kg 2 doses and so on.

I am unsure of from what age Panacur can be administered (safe in 8 week olds though) but the liquid solution may be more practical if they need a smaller dose.

My Vet has prescribed Panacur to a litter of 4 week old kits. I used the Panacur 10% Liquid . The dose is 20mg/kg or 0.2ml/kg
My 600g Kits were given 0.12ml of Panacur 10% Liquid

*Please discuss this with your Vet before administering Panacur to your babies*

Good Luck :)

Janex

I was thinking that it might be best to use the 10% liquid as they are very small :) . Unfortunately the poor baby i'm worried about broke his wrist yesterday so he's on Metacam but feeling even more sorry for himself:( and not very happy about being confined to his cage!

Back