• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disaster

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Just got home from work, checked on the Princess then went out to back yard buns. Matilda and Flyn the baby fosters were first on the feed list. Poured pellets in their bowl and only Matilda came. I thought this was unusual as he is normally out first. Anyway fed other buns amnd guineas and put big buns to bed. Went back, still no Flyn. I knew straight away something was wrong. Opened bedroom door and he was just sat in his straw. Got him out and he seemed fine, brought him into kitchen so I could see and he had a nick on his ear that was bleeding and a fat lip. I think he has definataly been bitten by one of my big buns through the wire.

They have the shed as their hutch and the run of the sealed back yard. Now everything has been fine but I notice that Flyn goes up to Lily who isn't a very good tempered bunny, with his bobtail up, all manly! You can really start to see the young buck in him. I think he has called her a fattie and she bitten him. He must have been poking his nosey nose through the wires.

So his right lip is puffed up with some teeth marks in and his ear is nicked. He was feeling very glum. Have bathed it and he and Matilda are in the front room for tonight. He is now bouncing round the living room like a maniac.... however I feel terrible. I am fostering these guys and have let this happen. Lily is grounded. I know it isn't Sandy cos he just isn't like that and I can't see it being Matilda. :(

Thats awful, poor Flynn :( Are you sure it wasn't his hutch mate who bit him? They might've had an argument.

Well its only a tiny bite but I really don't think that Matilda would have done it. Sometimes there are bits of fur in the hutch in the mornning but I never see real aggression between them. Its hard to know... but I just figured its one of mine.

I have a couple of theories and although its unlikely in 10 week lod babies referred aggression is a possibility so I have asked Charlotte to keep an eye on their interaction and body language and also to cover the run so that Matilda and Flyn cannot see the other rabbits in the garden.....that also means the other bunnies cannot reach to bite through the bars.

I cannot see there being an uprovoked scrap between two such young rabbits.

Im not worried about the ear so much but will need a close eye kept on the lip as its a prime abcess spot.

Couldn't see any problems between them. Making a gate today so the big buns are in the shed but with the door open. Just put the babies back out. Lip looking good, ear looking good, Flyn looking well! He is back to his bouncy self! I still feel like a terrible foster mum. :(

Awww, try not to feel bad.

Accidents happen, it wasn't your fault, you cant watch them 24/7!

Glad he's well this morning xxx

I know but I should have thought that this might happen. Thing is I have a sealed back yard that you can only access through house.... Its concrete with walls all round and the back is sealed in with an outhouse. The walls are all 5 ft high round the garden. Anyway my point is that the buns live in the outhouse and have it as a bunny shed... then they have run of yard. I should have figured they might be able to bite through the mesh. :roll:

Back