• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cages and dog crates

lapin

Young Bun
I bought a 48” dog crate when my large rabbit was spayed, so she could come indoors. I’m now getting a rabbit who needs to live indoors permanently. He’s a mini lop and disabled, so he’s not very active. The 48” crate is much too big for him, especially as he will be able to come out if he wants to.

I’m not sure whether to get a cage or a dog crate for him. I was thinking of a 36” crate but the trouble is, the one I’ve already got is really heavy and I imagine the smaller ones would be too. It’s got a metal tray, are the ones with plastic trays any lighter and do the trays last?

I’ve seen a few cages on this site:
http://www.therabbithouse.com/indoor/rabbitcages.asp

Could anyone recommend a good cage, or would I still be better with a dog crate?

Thanks!

i started with a cage... it was great when he was a baby but theres no way he would be able to even stand up in it now..... top half binned bottom half has been turned into a mini grass area (well it will be when the grass grows).... i think dog crates are much better as the can stand up fully and dont look half as squished..... ive got a 36" with a pen attached and Alvin seems the really like it....he reallt prefers under the sofa tho :lol: :lol:

If he will be allowed out but has mobility problems then id say a crate would be better than a cage as the lip on the doorway would be alot less on a dog crate ;) I have a 48" dogcrate with plastic tray and it is very heavy although it is a glavanised one... i would think the steel ones are alot lighter ;) I got mine from ebay.

Just found on ebay the company i got mine from.. they are selling lightweight versions, although not as strong as the galvanised ones i would think they would be ok for a poorly bunny ;) They only currently have 25" and 30" ones listed so maybe you could email them to ask if they have any 36" ones in. These have heavy duty plastic trays.. simba and nala used mine for 2yrs and its still in one piece.. i prefered it as when they removed all the bedding they wouldnt be noisy or fall over on the shiny metal ;)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lightweight-s...hZ013QQcategoryZ20745QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Back