• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mounting Rabbits

Kaz Johnson

Young Bun
:wave: Hi there. Wow, didn't realise rabbits could change behaviour so quickly. Last night my two male mini lops were playing around as normal and this morning one of them has become a raging humping machine :oops: and is continually mounting his brother! They were both born mid-August so would you think its time to get them 'done', tried to look if their testicles had dropped but I am new to looking after rabbits and they are so fluffy I can't really see anything but white fur. Also, can anyone recomend a goof rabbit vet in the Manchester area. Thank you:)

:wave: I got my boy bun done at 4/5 months. They normally say 6 months but if you can see their balls can do it earlier. They can suck their balls up while you are looking (then you can't see them) but you are looking for 2 lumps each side of their willy/bum area so you need to move the fluff about to see if you can see anything. I doubt it at 2.5 months though.

If you are in the Oldham area I would recommend the vets at the Pets at Home at Elk Mill - it's at the beginning of the A627M so if you are near the M62 it's accessible. They are wonderful with rabbits and very caring. PM me if you want more info

Mounting Males!

Hi Ailz
We usually go to the Pets at Home in Horwich (Reebok) and the staff there seem really nice. Have you used P@H vet services before, are they ok? Thanks, Kaz:)

it'll be another couple of months till you can get them neutered, so watch they don't start fighting, and if they get neutered same day they should be OK together if they haven't been fighting already - it's a bit of a dodgy time in between and they can seriously injure each other so check them daily for bites and scratches incase they get infected.

Some experienced vets will neuter them from about 3 months old. With boy pairings it is quite important to get them done as soon as possible to reduce the chance of serious fighting between them.

Back