• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New friend for Piper??? Pic added

Rice

Mama Doe
So I have found a friend for Piper and hubby actually said I could get him!! (I"ll post a pic as soon as I can get my stupid computer to let me...) But I kinda have a dilemna...

So I met this lady who has a neutered male lop that she needs to rehome because she is moving and can't take him with. I took Piper over to her house so the buns could meet and make sure they didn't absolutely hate each other. Piper doesn't like the car so I knew she wouldn't be really happy, but when we introduced the two rabbits Piper looked absolutely terrified!! We put them in the bathroom where the male had never been before so it'd be neutral. The male lop was very nice, he only tried to hump her once... no biting or scratching or anything, only Piper huddling in the corner looking terrified.

Should I get him?!? Is it normal for one of the buns to be afraid for no reason? Or do you think it was because of the car ride?

Sorry for this rambling thread... I just felt so bad for poor little Piper and I'm not sure I could stand bonding her if she's going to be terrified the whole time. Any suggestions or advice is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Rachel xxx

Last edited:
my buck Peanut, cowered when i introduced him to jelly, he was the submissive one. if they 'ignored' each other to a certain extent thats actually a GOOD thing. TYou cant expect them 2 love each other straight away, so this is positive progress imo. i may be wrong tho, gud luck xxx

Well Piper ignored the male lop, but when he came over to her she just cowered in the corner, terrified. But thats her being submissive then?

sounds like it to me, peanut, my buck was the submissive one and thats what he did. i know what you mean though bcus part of me was like 'well hes frightened, he obviously doesnt want this' but after the day had gone by, they were sitting cuddle up togetehred in their hutch and ive enevr seen either so happy:D

From personal experience it is always the rabbit that has travelled that is quieter to start with....and if someone is going to start trouble its usually the female :rolleyes:

I let rabbits who travel here for bonding settle for an hour before I start UNLESS that rabbit is known to be 'difficult' in which case it suits the situation for the 'difficult' rabbit to be a little unnerved.

Basically it sounds promising and its normal for a rabbit to be timid after a car journey, especially if then placed into a strange place with a strange rabbit.

This is all great to know, thanks! When I actually do the bonding it will be the boy that will have done the traveling so I wonder if that will make a difference in how they interact...

I will probably pick him up for good on Monday, so I will let you all know how the bonding goes! Oh and here's a pic of the little guy

2709301.jpg

he is so gorgeous! good luck with the bonding. maybe as will be at her home she won't be so scared and will be more even stevens.

I would recommend taking a friend with you and bringing them home in the same carrier from the bucks house....that way they will both be cuddling together for company in the car.

(The friend is to seperate them if they should start scrapping)

Thanks Sooz, I'll definitely bring a friend! His name is Spike and his owner thinks he is a little over a year old.

I was supposed to pick him up today but it didn't work out, so hopefully I'll be able to get him tomorrow!

Back