• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead's nature

Yep our lion head, Nala, is exactly the same as was his brother and his mum and his other brothers and sisters and his children are as well :roll:

Think it's more what each rabbit is like than the breed to be honest. I have a lionhead and she's definitely not shy! She loooves humans, demands attention from you and would definitely tell you if she doesn't approve of something! :roll: Think this was the way she was brought up though, she was a house bun before she came to me and so has been around humans more so is more humanised.

Lionheads

I have a lionhead who is beautiful but also she is quite shy. The person that had her before me didnt really handle her much. She is getting a little bit braver and is a lovely sweet natured girl.

He will let you stroke his nose, which he enjoys, he will let me comb the top of his hair and around his face but not under his chin and if you go anywhere near his tummy he's off!!:shock:

He will take food from your hand but has to be transported into the house in an old unused litter tray - will def not let you pick him up. :lol:

Funny thing is loud noises like the fireworks didn't bother him (though he slept indoors for a few nights) its seems to be the little noises.

He seems happy in himself but very cautious.

I have had him since he was 9 weeks old and handled him everyday but he even hated it when he was little. I decided as long as I can transport him to vets and into house without picking him up then thats what seems best for him and I don't want to make him anymore jumpy.

I still adore him but wondered if he will ever get any braver:lol:

if you stroke a bunny under the chin, you are kinda 'asking' them to groom you! i only have 2 buns which allow me to do that, so i wouldnt worry! xxx

Rabbits in general don't really like being stroked/brushed under their chin or tummy...I can just about get a tummy rub in if they are very chillled and flopped out but never a rub under the chin...it's a dominence thing & I guess the tummy is a nono because its one of their most vunerable parts & maybe they think you might want to pick them up.

I have two male lionheads. There characters are so different.

Sammy - is quite shy, he likes to go about by himself, he comes up to you every now and then to say hello but other than that he doesnt really like being petted. You can trust him around the house too, he doesnt climb on anything or chew any wires. Took to his litter tray very well too!

Leon - is like a dog, he follows you everywhere, loves the attention and likes playing with his toys. He cant be trusted around the house, he's into everything, he needs to be supervised at all times. Likes to poop everywhere.

Neither of my bunnies like being handled. I need to use a carrier to transport them from their hutch to anywhere. It would be nice of they could be handled but as long as there happy then I dont mind.

Thanks for all advice.

Think my Flopsy is a mixture between Sammy and Leon!:lol: Follows you like a dog sometimes but othertimes is not interested. Doesn't bother with toys much, litter trained easily but wrecks the house!! Nice to know I am not the only one with a bun that won't be picked up.

Mucky mixture and I wouldn't change him for the world.

I think a lot of it is down to the nature of the rabbit and it's relationship with the owner. We've had several lionheads here, some dont like being picked up at all, others tolerate it, some go limp and then there's one we had in who when you put him on your lap he'd actually roll onto his back and go to sleep with his legs in the air and let you groom him that way quite happily.

Back