• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neglected bunny

Bunnytod

Mama Doe
My cousin bought a bunny for her 2 children a few months ago, the children are 3 and 4:roll: . Well the novelty has worn off i think she was trying to copy me by having a house bunny. The bunny has now be stuck in the back garden in a small hutch and they have burned his run because it was in the way. My sister has just told me they have now bought a kitten but now the bunny is left out on his own, my sis has told me that everytime she goes round there is no water or no food and never any hay in the hutch and the only toy he has is the one i gave her when she first got him, I am going round tomorrow as i have just found out, I am going to confront her, What shall i do shall i try and make her take better care or see if she will let me take him and try and rehome him myself. Trouble is i am living at mother in laws and dont think i can keep another bunny.

If I couldnt take the bunny and it was being neglected I would report them. I assume you have already explained the care rabbits need and they havent really listened if the bun never has hay or water? Maybe someone going round would shock her into looking after the bunny, but it doesnt really sound like they want the bunny anyways :? Good luck x

Well when she first got him i went round there and gave the lecture about how much time care and cost he would be, I told her all about vac's and neutering, He has had his myxi jab but no neuter or vhd. his is about 6 months old now i think

I'd take him if you possibly can, even for a few weeks? Is there a friend or anyones garden nearby you can keep him in & you look after him til he finds a new home/rescue place comes up? Xx

I would try to take him too if you can.
I don,t think a lecture will do any good by the sounds of it:?

I am going to see if i can take him temp and go from there, I will keep him at my dads if not here, I can see her asking for money for him though, well we will see how it goes tomorrow. I cant just leave him as i know there is a family of foxes that live at the bottom of thier neiboughrs garden

If you can get him out of there even if it means him going into rescue, I'll fund his neuter ;) Am feeling generous :)

Don't give her any money!!! Say you will be paying out for vaccs and food etc which they never have. You are saving them money by taking it off their hands and taking on the financial responsibility. If she gets funny about money or whatever tell her that you will report her to the RSPCA. I think it is disgusting the way she is keeping it.:shock:

If you can get him out of there even if it means him going into rescue, I'll fund his neuter ;) Am feeling generous :)

Really oh wow thank you, Well we will see how it goes tomorrow fingers crossed she will just hand him over.

Went to see her but she was not in, I called her and i am going round in the week, Trouble is i start my new job tomorrow so i am not of till next weekend and i am working long days for the first week, Going to try and make it on tues morning before work

Apperantly he has become very aggresive and has bit her little girl so the kids wont go near him now. MY cousin says everytime she goes in his hutch he has attacked her, I have suggested neutering him to her but we will see, hopefully she will just let me take him, I never mentioned it over the phone i want to see her and hopefully will let me without changing her mind. Fingers crossed anyway

By the sounds of it she'll only be too glad to get the bunny off her hands so I can't imagine you'll have too much of a protest. Grrrr people like that make me very angry :evil:

If he's become aggressive could it also be partly because of how he is being kept? I read somewhere about rabbit behaviour that and aggresive rabbit is one that is very insecure and unhappy. I really hope you can take him :)

Apperantly he has become very aggresive and has bit her little girl so the kids wont go near him now. MY cousin says everytime she goes in his hutch he has attacked her, I have suggested neutering him to her but we will see, hopefully she will just let me take him, I never mentioned it over the phone i want to see her and hopefully will let me without changing her mind. Fingers crossed anyway

in a way this may be to your advantage. I would just say oh dear do you want me to take him off your hands and she will prob jump at the chance. if you mention neutering or other ways of stopping it then she might not give him up.

Back