• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have I too many buns?

petticoat74

Alpha Buck
I know alot of you have many more than me!!;) But I got into a heated debate with a 'friend' who turned round and said I should 'get rid' of some of my buns...:shock: I have 8 buns, but then I also have a large 13mth old dog and alot of piggies too. I dont breed, had a couple of piggies that have come in pregnant over the years, but never intentional, they are all segregated by sex... girly pigs living in groups, boys either coupled or in singles and my buns live seperate until neuter and then the fun begins!!;) :lol: I also work... I have no room for any more buns, as you all know from a previous thread... The thing is now I am beginning to wonder whether he is right?:roll:

Can you care for them all adequately?
Can you afford to treat them if they become ill?
Are they healthy and happy?
If yes, then you've not got too many!

I have 5 buns, which would be too much for some people, but I can afford the vet bills and the food bills, I have enough time to care for them and I know they are happy. The outside buns don't have much of my attention, but they have each other, so are fine.
Also, where would they go if you were to rehome them? Would they honestly go to a better home than they have with you? It's doubtful.

If you're able to look after them and have the space that's fine. I think for me it would be too many, I'm struggling with my 5 as I have a small house and work long hours during term time. But for someone who is home all day with a big house 8 would be quite manageable!

you sound like me - but I have only 6 bunnies, 19 piggies and NO JOB (how in the world do you manage the chores? :shock: I guess I'm a wimp cos they wear me out :roll: ) I have a 13yr old son too - I guess there's a similarity there with a 13month old dog :lol: (they both smell, are very demanding and eat a lot :rolleyes: )

Really it depends how much free time away from home you want/need. I know I feel trapped and exhausted, but not everyone is like me - some people would thrive on this way of life, and maybe you are one of them! Only you know how much you can cope with :)

There is always the thought 'if I didn't have all these animals I could .....' but you make choices in life, and usually they lead you somewhere else if you stick with it long enough - doors open as other doors close.

I agree with what has been said as in if you can afford them, the vets bills, the time and feed bills you are fine. The main thing is you are happy. I have thirteen buns of my own, 3 foster bunnies, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 piggies, fish, horse and three kids. Oh and yes I work about 24 hours a week :lol: Guess I have to with all those little people to feed and clean up after :lol: I wouldnt change a thing though :D

i agree with the question HS has said one question i asked myself when i had 6 buns was, if the buns got really ill over night and needed an emergancy appointment could i afford it as well as the treatment to make them better?

sadly when i had 6 buns i got depressed because i never had any money i was £500 in debt and still am :oops: if im honest i dont think il have anymore then 2 in the future but were all diffrent and cope in diffrent ways :D

i cant ever have more than two even tho i want hundreds because of the visiting the o/h family in scotland... only got space for a carrier mad for two but my little demon wont let me get past 1.... im really envious of people with a load of buns....

i have four and used to find it quite difficult managing time for them all when they were singles. now i have 2 pairs its ALOT easier and i think once you start bonding them ul find it easier:D

I have 6 - 2 together and a group of 4 - and that's about my limit. With the piggies and hamies and of course Lando I have my hands full. However, I know that if any of them got ill or needed a lot of care I'd be able to do it, so in my book I don't have too many.

You only have too many when your resources are totally depleted and you can't care for them properly.

AMETHYST

i have 6 but they are a 3 and a 2 with the single bun hopefully joining the 3 after christmas so it is not too bad cleaning them as its the 2 playhouses and the indoor cage until the 4 go together when it will just be the 2 houses.If they were all single and in hutches it would be much harder. With the vinyl flooring in the playhouses its easy to sweep and clean them

i have four and used to find it quite difficult managing time for them all when they were singles. now i have 2 pairs its ALOT easier and i think once you start bonding them ul find it easier:D

I found it hard when Trip and Scarlett werent together too. I was struggling to spend time in the evenings with the three of them :( Its a lot easier now them two are together because they keep each other company when they are in the house and dont have as much interest in me as they used to :roll: :lol: And now Buu and Beau are in the bonding process its really easy to spend time with the four of them each night :lol:

Can you care for them all adequately?
Can you afford to treat them if they become ill?
Are they healthy and happy?
If yes, then you've not got too many!

This is what I'm constantly asking myself due to the long hours I sometimes have to work :(

I know I'm fairly lucky to be in a secure, stable, reasonably well paid job and that they'd let me drop everything too look after the buns if I needed to

I found it hard when Trip and Scarlett werent together too. I was struggling to spend time in the evenings with the three of them :( Its a lot easier now them two are together because they keep each other company when they are in the house and dont have as much interest in me as they used to :roll: :lol: And now Buu and Beau are in the bonding process its really easy to spend time with the four of them each night :lol:

exactly. i dont think like 'oh no i havent spent much time with pebbles today' bcus i know shes with domino so i know she isnt lonely. And like i used ot like bringing them ndoors 4 sum cuddles but i didnt have the time 2 bring them ALL in, where as now, i can fuss peanut while ross fusses jelly :D

Thanks guys;) about six - seven years ago I had 14 rabbits so used to having quite a few, but then I only worked p/t and didn't have my mutt!!:lol: I admit I hate cleaning out... but once its all done I am all content, cos its clean!! Piggies are done each day and buns alternate days... (Isabelle has her litter tray done each day) I haven't actually gone out to get a rabbit for nearly 6 years (Sadie) the last five came into my life in some way or another, usually cos previous owner no longer wanted them... I love them all and yesterday after I posted, Raff was free range and he saw Isabelle in her run and he made a beeline for her... she grunted at him at first and then... they kissed:D Aw so sweet, they lay next to each other, well there was wiremesh between, but hey that a start!! They all have ample to eat, plenty of hay, are clean and yes they see vet as and when... I admit I still have some neuters to do, but that will be done asap.. then bonding will begin...OMG!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I have 3 bunnies a pair and a single. I found it easy to care until the single house bunny got ill with Myxi. It has been months and so much care and time. So I guess I would be for as long as they are healthy it is fine, but if they get ill it would probably be too much.

God knows I went through a low time when I thought I had too many animals. I am lucky as I can afford it. I had Ebuny, Kitti, Ozzy and Harvey all ill at once and that was a VERY expensive month!

I have 5.... 3 of my own and 2 fosters.... I also have 2 piggies, 4 cats and a horse. The only thing I struggle with is money. But then I make sure they all have everything they need one way or the other. They never go without. And Vetinary treatment gets paid for somehow. When Caramel was ill I sold things on ebay to pay for her treatment. I would be fine if it wasn't for an ex leaving me in the poop financially. But the animals were here first and by hook or by crook I have made damn sure they didn't suffer or have to be rehomed. I am just putting in over time now to try and get myself stable. Timewise I do sacrifice other things but I choose to do that and would much rather be with my babies. I have to say I really don't mind cleaning out either! :?

When Caramel was ill I sold things on ebay to pay for her treatment. I would be fine if it wasn't for an ex leaving me in the poop financially. But the animals were here first and by hook or by crook I have made damn sure they didn't suffer or have to be rehomed.

Bless you!!!! :cry: Thats me exactly! :D

Too many animals is when the animals start to suffer because you don't have enough money, time or space for them;) . I have 9 rabbits, 10 pigs and a dog and yea they cost me the earth but what I get from them is PRICELESS. I can't imagine getting so much enjoyment from anything else in life. Sometimes I can just sit and watch them going about their business, eating, sleeping, looking so content and I just beam with pride! :oops: :lol:

Last edited:
Bless you!!!! :cry: Thats me exactly! :D

Too many animals is when the animals start to suffer because you don't have enough money, time or space for them;) . I have 9 rabbits, 10 pigs and a dog and yea they cost me the earth but what I get from them is PRICELESS. I can't imagine getting so much enjoyment from anything else in life. Sometimes I can just sit and watch them going about their business, eating, sleeping, looking so content and I just beam with prowd! :oops: :lol:

Blimey that is me exactly too!!!!!!!!! I love the way they just get on with life.. not a care in the world. I love to see them so happy and that is what makes me happy. Its like my horse, he is the most miserable grump in the whole world and yet I adore him and no one else would want him even though he is perfect. He is a 19 yr old ex race horse. So on paper he is dog meat. In real life he is as fit and enthusiastic as a 5 year old, bombproof and full of beans. To most that is a perfect horse. I could never part with him though, 1. because I love him and 2. because he literally would end up as dog food. :cry:

Sometimes I can just sit and watch them going about their business, eating, sleeping, looking so content and I just beam with prowd! :oops: :lol:

I do that too :lol: :lol: :lol: My family think I am crazy just watching them eat their greens but I think its the cutest thing in the world :oops: :lol:

Back