• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dutch bunnies

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
I have recently got a dutch x doe, she is lovely and certainly seems to have a feisty nature she is only 9 weeks old. Can someone tell me if dutch rabbits are known for this? Thanks
Sallyx

I have a *few* :oops: Dutch bunnies, and have kept them for years. One of the things that I love the MOST about them is their personalities. Mine are all lovely and friendly, VERY inquisitive, and frighteningly intelligent in their abilities to figure things out!!! I have one doe who is slightly territorial over her bed, in that she will growl a bit if you reach into it. But she has never bitten or anything, and I don't consider it to be aggression. My Mickey was a bit hostile when I first adopted him from rescue, and would actually lunge at me and scratch with his front paws. But after a lot of TLC, he is absolutely FINE now, and a very happy and personable little chap!:D :D

I only have one Dutch doe and agree completely with March Hare regarding the intelligence. Of my nine buns, Maddie is without exception the one bunny who you can see is constantly figuring things out. She loves a challenge and if you like, is the 'Carol Vordeman' of the clan. She needs puzzles, obstacles and problems to solve and seems to be in her element with a concoction of boxes and tubes I've set up as a play den. She goes in there moves everything around chews to her hearts delight and then comes out for nose rubs and a drink!:lol: Very curious and active. She has been spayed so can't obviously say whether she would be aggressive without it, but certainly she loves company and I've seen no sign of aggression at all. Hopefully just a passing phase for you.:D

My first dutch, Dylan was a fiesty minx, but then considering her background not surprised.. she calmed down over the years and when she died last year, I was so heartbroken:cry: My second and last Dutch, Zak was such a laid back dude, he was the epitome of cool;) A beautiful boy... and again so sad when we lost him at the start of this year.... oh one day I will have my chocolate dutch:shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I have found most Dutch rabbits to be very easy going and friendly with the right care and handling.

They are very curious and outgoing and michevious though, a bit of a handful.

I have two Dutches and have had a few others pass through the rescue. Only one which was a Dutch X female proved too be a mardy moo.

Thanks everyone, Lily is really lovely, but she has a bit of stroppyness in her as well:lol: I spend the last hour trying to catch her in the shed, she was always one step ahead of me:lol:
Sallyx

Just for you, Petticoat......here is my Lola!!!:D

ADutchLola26Oct20072.jpg

ADutchLolaandSuzy26Oct2007.jpg

Nibbles has dutch in her, but it's just her markings and eye colour (I read that blue eyes is a dutch thing)
She's a lionhead really though, she's just super pretty. Dutch's are always so gorgeous!!

I actually need two more....a Tri Dutch and a Steele (grey/black agouti) Dutch......but I'm working on it!!!!!:p :lol: :lol:

Bluebell is my first Dutch bunny and it's got to be said he is the most laid back rabbit I've ever had, if I'm in the garden he'll run up and down his run to get a better look at what I'm doing. Definately clever, had to modify his run as had a little escape artist on my hands. He's definately a lap bunny tho, not a bit fiesty. Mind you that might all change when he matures, fingers crossed it wont!

I have a dutch, Jasper, and he is the friendliest thing in the world! :D When I'm with him he always licks me, and loves his cuddles :love: And he's always really interested in everything!! At night when I go out and give buns their food, I open the hutch door and he always walks out along the run to look for the food then goes to look in the trio's hutch :lol: :lol:

Back