• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New member with a problem!!!

FlyDogz

New Kit
Hi, I have just joined to ask for advice/help.

I have just found a rabbit in my (supposedly) secure back garden!!! I can't see where it managed to get in!!

I have been to all the neighbours with gardens near to mine, those with rabbits have them secure. I have asked if they know of anyone else who may have lost a rabbit - no one has!!!

At the moment he/she is in a cat basket, but what do I do for its welfare??

My vets are pretty certain that they can home it if I can't find its proper home.

Many thanks for your help

Steph.

Hiya, well done for catching the bunny! i would take a photo and put so ads up in local shops/pet shop/vet etc so hopefully the owner will come forward. where abouts ar eyou? if sum1 here lives in your area they may be able to ask around too. xxx

Thanks, it wasn't easy to catch!!!

I live in Southmead, Bristol.

I will do posters and take them round to all the shops.

Steph.

also it might be useful to contact any rabbit rescues in your area, bcus if he is someones pet, they may have called there to see if the bunny has been handed in?
unfortunatly many bunnies are set free if the owners dont want them anymore, its a sad fact:(
so nobody may come forward, but i hope they do.x

Yes, well done for your action.. I am a bit sceptical about a lost rabbit, so many are just abandoned anywhere when their owners want to get rid of them :roll:

If you find a rabbit:
Take it indoors and put it into a suitable box or cage
Offer it food and water***
Notify the RSPCA, Local Vets and nearest animal sanctuary
Place a found listing on www.Rabbitrehome.org.uk and check to see if it has been reported lost

If you are able to hold onto the rabbit until its owners have been found then please do so but be aware that many rabbits are unfortunatly released into the wild every year and it may simply have been abandoned. In this instance, unless you wish to adopt the rabbit it is best to surrender it to the RSPCA or a sanctuary for rehoming. If it requires vetinary treatment contact the RSPCA or local rescue center straight away, if it is critically injured they may ask you to take it to the vets and reimburse you for the cost when they collect it.

From another forum.

If you find a rabbit:
Take it indoors and put it into a suitable box or cage
Offer it food and water***
Notify the RSPCA, Local Vets and nearest animal sanctuary
Place a found listing on www.Rabbitrehome.org.uk and check to see if it has been reported lost

If you are able to hold onto the rabbit until its owners have been found then please do so but be aware that many rabbits are unfortunatly released into the wild every year and it may simply have been abandoned. In this instance, unless you wish to adopt the rabbit it is best to surrender it to the RSPCA or a sanctuary for rehoming. If it requires vetinary treatment contact the RSPCA or local rescue center straight away, if it is critically injured they may ask you to take it to the vets and reimburse you for the cost when they collect it.

From another forum.

Thanks for the above, I had done everything bar the Rabbit Rehome web site, which I have now done.

If the owner does not come forward, my vet has someone who is looking for a new rabbit, so hopefully this one has a home lined up.

A few questions please.
How do I sex a rabbit and under normal circumstances, how often do they deficate? This one has been in the cage for a few hours without passing anything.

Thanks for your help.

The rabbit will be grateful too I'm sure.

Steph.

Have found the section on sexing, so when the cavalry get home, will have a go at finding out whether its a he or a she!!!!!

Is the rabbit eating?

It is vital that s/he passes stools soon as when a rabbits digestive tract shuts down (known as GI stasis) it is a major task to get it running again and is a very dangerous situation which needs veterinary intervention.

If you get really stuck with anything PM me, as I'm not far away in Bradley Stoke. Although I'm away from Sun night to Thurs night.

Eating and pooing well - thank goodness!!!

Can't sex it, it's sooo frightened. Thankfully I have a good hold from giving pills to the cats, so it didn't get away. The claws/nails are very long and pointed, which I guess means it's not been out long and has been a hutch rabbit? I wonder if its an older rabbit that got chucked out to make way for a younger one? Either way, its not used to being handled!!!

Thanks again for all your help.
Steph

Hi Welcome to the forum
I do hope you manage to track down the owner of the rabbit.. and if you cant then i hope you are able to find it a lovely new home :D

Back