• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help needed please!!! UPDATED!! WITH PICS

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
My network has either gone down, or my phone is busted =[ so I can't text or ring my usual saint - Kayj - for help :cry:

I'm going to give bonding a go myself between Jamie and Sapphire before I go to Kayj's Bunnyhop hotel because I know how busy she is!!

So, can anyone offer me a starting point? Will try it later on this afternoon.. it's my first time, but I'm not a defeatest so I'll go at it til I succeed... and then, if I don't, I'll go to Kayj, lol.

xx

Last edited:
Neutral ground,start early morn,chasing and fur pulling is ok expect to sleep with them,once there grooming each other it is safe to say there bonded:D

So I need to stay at it and do it in one go?

At what point in one occasion should I expect to have to give up? How do I know when it's gone too far?

Thanks =] x

Also a smaller space is good, using the bathroom may be a good idea because it's normally a smaller space and is easier to clean afterwards ;) I'd make sure there's a lot of distractions down too, boxes to hide in, litter trays etc. Chasing's fine, it's if they lock onto each other that you'll want to seperate them for a bit. Hope it goes ok! :D

Haha,Kay knows me too well!!

I'm just protective over my babies, so if I can prevent a scuffle I will.

Thanks for everyones advise, taken on board =]
xx

The Bathroom's an ideal place..small, cool and washable! Turn a blind eye to chasing and nipping( thre's a difference between a nip and a full-on bite). Keep a water spray handy, scatter food around and supply a few boxes for them to hide in if nec.

when i bonded peanut butter and jelly, i put them together a ew times and kept splitting them up, this wasnt a gud idea bcus the final time i did it, i wanted 2 split them up, but i left them 2gether and voila they were bonded by morning! also try not to break up their scuffles, its really hard not to but as long as they are not angry and drawing blood they r okay. a smaller place is best cus i put my 2 in the lounge and they jus ignored each for hours cus it was so big, so i gave them a smaller part of the room s they had 2 be around each other

good luck x

The bathroom sounds good, and its handy cos theres usually a toilet in there too... makes a great seat with the lid down! A broom is handy as well, not necessarily to prise them apart (well I hope not) but its if things look a bit scary and you dont want to risk putting a hand in.

Good luck and I hope youre worrying over nothing.:wave:

Argggghh disaster :cry:

Put Jamie and Sapphire in the smallest bedroom, along with the carry case, a pop up tent, a tunnel and some food scattered around, along with a litter tray... initially they weren't fussed by each other, then Jamie started to get a bit too keen. She was sat in the litter tray and Jamie was sniffing her and about to hump her (I suspect) when she turned on him. They locked together and were rolling around the floor pulling fur out of each other :cry:

What can I do???

xx

Can you drive?

I have tried a new approach with our bondings after a spate of problem ones where both rabbits go for a walk in a neutral carrier with me for a while.

I dont drive and only walk around the house and garden with them. I do this before releasing them into a neutral space and on three occasiona have had them living together within 12 hours.

I am not guaranteeing this wil work for you but it *seems* to be going OK for us so far.

Thanks Sooz.

I have just phoned my agony bunny aunt Kayj and she advised similar... She's currently in the pet carrier, closed in with some food, and Jamie is smelling around the carriet. After she has calmed down, we're going to go for a walk around the block with them both. Fingers crossed, eeeek... this is scary stuff!!

Argggghh disaster :cry:

Put Jamie and Sapphire in the smallest bedroom, along with the carry case, a pop up tent, a tunnel and some food scattered around, along with a litter tray... initially they weren't fussed by each other, then Jamie started to get a bit too keen. She was sat in the litter tray and Jamie was sniffing her and about to hump her (I suspect) when she turned on him. They locked together and were rolling around the floor pulling fur out of each other :cry:

What can I do???

xx

thats why Alvin didnt get a wife..... neither would back down and be submissive after a whole day of getting on beutifully too.... i really hope they sort out their issues for you... norty buns :roll:

I had a little attempt last night when we got home with her, he tried being the dominant one - then he went submissive and wanted her to groom him by bowing his head. Today, I dont even think she gave him a chance.

Are you popping him into the carrier that she is settling down in or are you using a totally different carrier?

Its just that if she is defensive now she may feel he is in her space...

The one asking to be groomed is expressing dominant behaviour..

jelly is th ebos sin my pair and she was doing allthe mounting etc, but then peanut bowed his head and pushed it under her and it looked submissive? she did groom hm but its so obvious shes the boss...imc onfused now!

We have developments I think....

Decided against the carrier, and put them in the bath before we try taking them for a walk... Jamie has been grooming Sapphire, and here are some photo's-

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

She's not seeming too bothered if I'm honest now, weve put them in a small neutral space again, so fingers crossed :? xx

Back