• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buddy?

redd1800

Warren Scout
Hi.

We got our first ever bunny, tigger a month ago. We've been talking about getting a rescue bunny to keep him company, but the plan was to get him neutured and vacinated first - been letting him settle in before we freak him out with a vets trip. We also wanted to get some weight on him, as he was scary skinny.

But now a rescue bunny has come up - its in the local pets at home store, they do an adoption program for unwanted pets, they don't normally have bunnys. He's the same age as ours, both male and the same size.

our bunny cage is huge, he's got free run of the house most of the day when we're home so space not an issue.

Are they likely to fight?
How would we get them used to each other?
Is it a bad idea to get another male, when neither are neutured?

HELP!!!!!

the new bunny being kept over weekend for us, and he's so so cute!!!! Dont want it to go wrong and have to rehome him again.

Hello! If the rescue bunny is an unneutered male and yours is also unneutered, I would advise against this I'm afraid :cry: There's a very high chance they will fight, and whilst some neutered males can be introduced and live happily together, there is a high risk of fighting before/for several weeks after the op, so you'd need to be able to keep them separate all that time, then introduce them on neutral territory several weeks later - plus of course accept that they might never get on.

I'd suggest getting your one neutered first, then finding a rescue which will help you with the pairing, that way you can be sure that your buns are definitely going to get on and can live happily together.

Sorry it's probably not what you were hoping to hear though :?

yeap,

new bunny so so so cute. But can't be long before someone else falls in love with him.

But happy healthy zoo (got piggies and hamsters and geckos too) most important, so gonna have to hold back till the time is right.

How much recovery time do you reccommend for my tigger to get over neuturing before looking at introducing another bunny?

And would another neutured male be best?
We have emergency cage, so could get a rescue neutured if we needed to.

The most common pairing is neutered male and neutered female. Once your bunny has been neuteured contact your local rescue and they'll advise you from there. HTH x

The recommended time for a male to get over his hormones is 6weeks. People generally do recommend male/female pairings but personally I think it depends entirely on the temperament of the rabbits and that two neutered males can live happily together.

If you plan on bonding two unrelated males they will certainly both ned to be nutered first.

I would also recommend that you ask an experienced bonder to help you as two males are the most difficult and potentially dangerous combination.

Also consider that they may not ever get along.....do you have the resources to keep them both and get them a female friend each? Could you return the rescue rabbit if it all went wrong?

I would also recommend that you ask an experienced bonder to help you as two males are the most difficult and potentially dangerous combination.

Also consider that they may not ever get along.....do you have the resources to keep them both and get them a female friend each? Could you return the rescue rabbit if it all went wrong?

Maybe it's just me that ends up with all the mardy females then!! :lol: :lol: My boys are a doddle compared to the girls!

I agree with Sooz tho that you do have to be prepared if they don't get on, going to a rescue will certainly help eliminate the worry as they will probably help you bond and if it didn't work out help you find an alternative mate for your bun.

Alvin was 6 weeks after his op when we tried to get him to bond with a gorgeous gal at a rescue.... hes still too fiesty and ive been told he wasnt ready and to give it atleast another 6 weeks for his hormones to be totally gone..... hopefully your bun is less fiesty and you wont have to wait as long as me for a 2nd bunny...

We definately dont have resources to accommodate 2 cages with boys and their girlfriends. And in NI there is only one rescue that i know of that ever has bunnies, their main focus is dogs and cats, so wouldn't be confident of getting the best advice about bonding etc.

Our local pets at home does an adoption service for unwanted pets, so between that and the local adds in the papers for unwanted bunnies, thats how i'm hoping to find our new rescue bunny - they seem to be far and few between.

Now that tigger is settled and a healthy weight, planning to get him neutured this week. Anything I need to be keeping an eye on after?

And does anyone know anything more about rescue bunnies in NI?

Alvin was 6 weeks after his op when we tried to get him to bond with a gorgeous gal at a rescue.... hes still too fiesty and ive been told he wasnt ready and to give it atleast another 6 weeks for his hormones to be totally gone..... hopefully your bun is less fiesty and you wont have to wait as long as me for a 2nd bunny...

thats true, my boy domino took to a girl a week after his op, altho he was done literally as soon as he dropped! and ym boy peanut, was 4 weeks after, cus we had 2 wait 4 mum 2 be spaye dbut he was fine. but sumtimes it can take a LONG time like it did 4 alvin, so i would wait and take him2 a rescu2 f ind a mate so that if it IS too soon.....youw ont end up with 2 singles, u can take him back and try again :D

Maybe it's just me that ends up with all the mardy females then!! :lol: :lol: My boys are a doddle compared to the girls!

My trio was a doddle but I am convinced if I had tried to pop the boys together without Scout it would have ended in tears.

Im also not keen on addig Caspian into the group as i think he will stir it between the males.

Ive not had a male male bond that didnt end in fighting :roll:

we went back into pets at home yesterday. Bunny was still up for adoption, had been there a few weeks, and other pets up for adoption has come in afer and been adopted before him.

We had talked about the separate cages, paying for two neuturings and possibility of complications - abbesses etc needing more vets visits. We also have a couple of guinea pigs needing neutured, so lots talk about care, attention involved etc. Students, so the finances needed to give proper care always talking point.

So we now have our 2nd bunny - couldn't leave him in the shop. He's a big, sturdy loinhead, and wasn't being taken cos he wasn't small and cute.

We have a back-up rehoming plan, but determined we won't be needing it.

Tigger (1st bunny) and Nermal (new bunny) are in separate cages. Have had a couple of hours at a time, a few times a day hopping around our kitchen and living room, we're watching them every second, just in case. Glass door door in between the rms, so was separate if we need to. So far, all going well! Lots of watching eachother, couple wee scuffles, no real efforts to hurt or scare or dominate each other.

No plans for cage sharing till after they have recovered from their opps. Tiggers's testicles haven't dropped yet, ops will be booked when that happens
(we saw his other man bit a few minutes age when he was "inspecting" nermal, and nermal has huge testicles, so definately boys!!!!)

Wish us luck - gonna be a long slow process but we're enjoying it already!

Back