• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi vaccine question

Hugbut

Mama Doe
Hugo gets vaccinated every 6 months for myxi & is due for a booster next week.The problem is, he's had nodular myxi - i'm not sure if he's still infected with it...he still has nodules...anyway, my problem is, should i bring him to get the booster or not? I'm going to ring the vet tommorrow, but wondered if anyone knows? I was meant to ask the vet today but forgot as i was so worried about the cat :rolleyes:
Thanks you!

Hugo gets vaccinated every 6 months for myxi & is due for a booster next week.The problem is, he's had nodular myxi - i'm not sure if he's still infected with it...he still has nodules...anyway, my problem is, should i bring him to get the booster or not? I'm going to ring the vet tommorrow, but wondered if anyone knows? I was meant to ask the vet today but forgot as i was so worried about the cat :rolleyes:
Thanks you!

According to the Vaccine Data Information Sheet the vaccine should *not* be administered to a Rabbit who has an active disease

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Janex

My vet has advised me against Letting Floss have her 6monthly booster for the time being as she is still battling with a myxi-related eye problem.

Thanks Jane, but how do i know if the disease is still active? The only symptoms he has are a few nodules but i read that some of them never go away?

Thanks Jane, but how do i know if the disease is still active? The only symptoms he has are a few nodules but i read that some of them never go away?

I guess your Vet is the one to advise you but *personally* I would postpone vaccinating for now

*Please go with your Vet's advice though * :)

Janex

As the bun has obviously been in contact with myxi itself, I'd assume that the buns body has had an immune response to it, therefore it's probably more protected at the moment than if it has the myxi vaccine (which isn't actually made from myxi but relies on cross-immunity) now I'd have thought :? I have read that rabbits which recover from myxo (not sure if this includes nodular) can develop lifelong immunity - a bit like people don't generally get chickenpox more than once.

As Jane says, obviously I'd go with what your vet suggests but personally I would think that the contact with myxi has given the bun some immunity for at least a while anyway.

Edit: look here: http://exoticpets.about.com/od/rabbitshealth/p/myxomatosis.htm

This seems to suggest that rabbits which recover from nodular myxo become immune, so hopefully it's nothing to worry about if your vet doesn't recommend vaccinating right now.

Last edited:
Floss contracted Nodular myxi October 06 and a year later (almost to the day!!!) she got it again, so unfortunately immunity isn't always the case. Wish it was....

I asked the vet the same question this week when I took Evie in. Evie is due to be vaccinated again in a month's time (she's now in week 5 of nodular myxi) and the vet said unless she is still unwell, she'll need the injection. The virus mutates all the time, so immunity to one strain doesn't mean the rabbit won't catch others.

I'd ask your vets opinion

When Millie has myxi last year, my vet suggested postponing the vaccination as he felt that she would have immunity against it for a time. I had her vaccinated about 4 months after to ensure she was completely well again.
Jane

Back