• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worms

bunlover

Warren Veteran
from reading various threads i understand rabbits can get worms... how would this present itself symptom wise? would you see in poo? chels not touch wood seem to have this prob (bless her she still fighting the mxyi) but just wondered for future reference.

from reading various threads i understand rabbits can get worms... how would this present itself symptom wise? would you see in poo? chels not touch wood seem to have this prob (bless her she still fighting the mxyi) but just wondered for future reference.

You can see worms that look like threadworms (about 1cm long and about as thin as a pin) in their poo.

I would recommend a 9 day treatment of panacur as a precaution when she is better to avoid anymore illness for her xx

You can see worms that look like threadworms (about 1cm long and about as thin as a pin) in their poo.

thankyou for this just to make sure can watch out just in case she doesnt need anyhtign else to knock her immune system... curently fighting myxi and had bad reaction to that horrid xenex stuff...but seemingky touch wood on the mend

I understand that they will often not show symptoms even if they have worms. It is always worth worming a rabbit if you have any concerns. It is so easy now with panacur rabbit.

But I would def take my vet's advice before I would give anything at the moment. I think it is best she gets completely better first.

She is beautiful btw.:p

....."I understand that they will often not show symptoms even if they have worms"....

this was also my understanding though my french lop did pass a couple of red thread like worms (i initialy panicked because at first glance i thought it was blood in his poo.:oops: was treated by the vet and i havn't seen anything since.
maybe the presance of syptoms deppends on the type of worm as well as its population density?

I understand that they will often not show symptoms even if they have worms. It is always worth worming a rabbit if you have any concerns. It is so easy now with panacur rabbit.

But I would def take my vet's advice before I would give anything at the moment. I think it is best she gets completely better first.

She is beautiful btw.

thankyou she is my baby and i think she is beutiful lol though she is getting old now bless her. thank you for advice how much is panacur and do i get it from vets or from a "shop" also what dose and can it be given by injection just she hates being syringe fed...also what problems can worms cause if not showing any symptoms? is it stil likely to make unwell ...oh definatly wud not give her any extra meds at mo till she better bles her my little fighter she is x

thankyou she is my baby and i think she is beutiful lol though she is getting old now bless her. thank you for advice how much is panacur and do i get it from vets or from a "shop" also what dose and can it be given by injection just she hates being syringe fed...also what problems can worms cause if not showing any symptoms? is it stil likely to make unwell ...oh definatly wud not give her any extra meds at mo till she better bles her my little fighter she is x

I got Panacur from my vet but I'm not sure if you can buy it online or from pet shops. It comes in a tube and it's a paste that you're supposed to syringe into your bun's mouth.

I think I may have found a worm in one of Bella's poops last night. It was quite thin and garden worm coloured. Yeeuugh :roll: :roll:

I've always found it difficult attempting to Panacur her but last night after seeing that - I don't know what else it might be, though when she was ill she did have some stuff that came out that was definitely not worms, but as she's very healthy now and eating for England (can't get the hay in fast enough), it's not that.

Not got a chance of getting it in her mouth and syringing it so both she and Tarquin had it on their bedtime banana chip. Bella wolfed hers down - T wasn't so sure and when I went to bed it was on his fleece, but by this morning it had gone, so at least I've found a way of getting the stuff in.

Does anyone know how they get worms? I think I read on here that it might be in the hay? Yuck. Horrible.

Rebec :)

Last edited:
As for showing symptoms it often depends what you are worming for...

Actual feacal worms will show in the poo and may manifest in a bloated appearence of the stomach, an increased appetite or weightloss.

Encephalitozoon Cuniculi on the other hand can present in a magnitude of ways. The rabbit may have one or any combination of the following symptoms:
*Weightloss
*Excessive drinking/urination
*Liver/kidney failure
*Head tilt
*Cataracts and eventual blindness
*Hind leg paralysis
*Urinary incontinence
*Recurrent bloat and stasis

This list is not exhaustive.

A rabbit can also 'carry' EC without showing any symptoms at all but can still pass it to other rabbits through urine and feaces or in the case of a pregnant doe, through the placenta to the kits.

I would recommend worming at least annually and at times of contact with other rabbits such as prior to boarding.

Actual feacal worms will show in the poo and may manifest in a bloated appearence of the stomach, an increased appetite or weightloss.

Don't think Bella is bloated and she certainly hasn't lost weight, but she's definitely getting down the hay. Does Panacur definitely kill them off? I'm very glad that I've found a way of getting the stuff in her - less worried about T as I've not found anything in his, though his at the moment are strung together - he's moulting so not sure if that's what that is - but obviously they're both out and eating from the same hay boxes when they're not in their cages so he needs doing. Have only found one, and it may not even be a worm, but not taking any chances. She definitely got the full dose last night and I hope she'll carry on taking it.

Encephalitozoon Cuniculi on the other hand can present in a magnitude of ways. The rabbit may have one or any combination of the following symptoms:
*Weightloss
*Excessive drinking/urination
*Liver/kidney failure
*Head tilt
*Cataracts and eventual blindness
*Hind leg paralysis
*Urinary incontinence
*Recurrent bloat and stasis

This list is not exhaustive.

A rabbit can also 'carry' EC without showing any symptoms at all but can still pass it to other rabbits through urine and feaces or in the case of a pregnant doe, through the placenta to the kits.

I would recommend worming at least annually and at times of contact with other rabbits such as prior to boarding.

Hi :wave: - so if you are worming for worms you use the panacur paste for 9 days and if for EC as well the same paste for 30 days?? Is that how it works?

If your worming for worms its 9 days and the best time of year (if they dont alreadyhave worms) is apparently spring time.

If you are treating for a suspected case of 'active' EC, which will most likely be showing symptoms its a minimum of 28 days but most vets now recommend 6 weeks due to further studies on the life cycle & shedding of the oocysts suggesting this is more effective.

If you are worming as a preventative, prior to bonding or boarding for example, its 9 days again.

Worms will only be visble in poo if there is a heavy worm burden. Even if there is a heavy infestation, you won't necessarily see them, but they can cause a blockage in the guts. Worms can make rabbits ill, and in rare cases can even lead to death if a blockage occurs.

I spent about 6 months trying to work out the cause of one of my rabbits GI disturbance (runny poops, gut pain, etc) until I finally realised she had worms. After a corse of panacur she was a changed rabbit :D .I know worming is recommended nowadays, but this was in the days before worming was considered routine.

Amy

Worms will only be visble in poo if there is a heavy worm burden. Even if there is a heavy infestation, you won't necessarily see them, but they can cause a blockage in the guts. Worms can make rabbits ill, and in rare cases can even lead to death if a blockage occurs.

I spent about 6 months trying to work out the cause of one of my rabbits GI disturbance (runny poops, gut pain, etc) until I finally realised she had worms. After a corse of panacur she was a changed rabbit :D .I know worming is recommended nowadays, but this was in the days before worming was considered routine.

Amy

Oooh that sounds nasty. Bella is absolutely fine and it may not even have been a worm. She's eating and pooing for England, as lively as ever, but just this one thing last night. How quickly does the Panacur kill the worms?

Rebec

I saw dead worms the day after starting the course of panacur. They came out for about 2 or 3 days afterwards. Not that I study my buns poops or anything :oops:

Amy

I saw dead worms the day after starting the course of panacur. They came out for about 2 or 3 days afterwards. Not that I study my buns poops or anything :oops:

Amy

I do :oops: :lol: :lol:

Not done it with these two, but I used to weigh Harvey's until I realised how silly I was being and stopped!!!

Back