• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One Carrot :o(

Julia123

Warren Veteran
I went to Asda last night on a bunny veg run, while i was there i heard a mum say to her daughter 'do you want to get a carrot for the rabbit?' so she did - one carrot :cry: :cry:

I felt so awful i imagined a poor bunny left on his own with the odd carrot thrown in every now and again...

I may be over reacting but it just made me sad :cry:

unless she is like me and doesn't feed carrots often, maybe as a treat? try to think positive, otherwise it will only upset u xxx

unless she is like me and doesn't feed carrots often, maybe as a treat? try to think positive, otherwise it will only upset u xxx

Same here, Bobbin has carrots as a treat so I either buy a small bag of mini ones or one great big one, they just go off in my fridge otherwise! :lol:

Don't worry, just be thankful bunny was getting something :roll:

Same here, Bobbin has carrots as a treat so I either buy a small bag of mini ones or one great big one, they just go off in my fridge otherwise! :lol:

Don't worry, just be thankful bunny was getting something :roll:

we got the mini ones from asda,... chan something...
they nice. the buns like thier treat x

we got the mini ones from asda,... chan something...
they nice. the buns like thier treat x

Chantennay :lol: - they're really nice and seem to last longer than normal carrots. We buy/eat loads of veg so I don't buy it specifically buy it for the buns just give them what we have in.

Really! :D

Just the way my mind works then !!! Think its because I give mine greens every night, guess all bunnies are different. Hopefully like you say he's a happy bunny fed on loads of hay and pellets and he was having a treat :D

Glad i posted it now I feel better :D

So do i feed mine too much veg? my three have a bowl (dog bowl size) of spring greens, carrots, green beans and maybe broccoli every night? The fosters have half a big spring green leaf and half a carrot each apart from Ollie mummy who has a big leaf to herself.

Just the way my mind works then !!! Think its because I give mine greens every night, guess all bunnies are different. Hopefully like you say he's a happy bunny fed on loads of hay and pellets and he was having a treat :D

So do i feed mine too much veg? my three have a bowl (dog bowl size) of spring greens, carrots, green beans and maybe broccoli every night? The fosters have half a big spring green leaf and half a carrot each apart from Ollie mummy who has a big leaf to herself.

So long as they have a healthy digestive system and are a healthy weight I very much doubt it.

Mine probably get a bit less than yours per bunny but they are also fed 3-4 different types of hay and they poo for Britain- its the brome its 32% fibre :shock: :lol:

Its too much carrot that is the problem ;) tough green leafy veg is fine on a daily basis however carrots are high in natural sugars and should only be fed occasionally. I only give the bunnies here a small chunk of carrot a couple of times a week ;)

Chantennay :lol: - they're really nice and seem to last longer than normal carrots. We buy/eat loads of veg so I don't buy it specifically buy it for the buns just give them what we have in.

trust you to know that lol. they are lovely.
we have frozen veg for us as i don't always have time to prepare fresh veg for nick at 10 at nite lol

xxx

trust you to know that lol. they are lovely.
we have frozen veg for us as i don't always have time to prepare fresh veg for nick at 10 at nite lol

xxx

Only because I prefer them :lol: I also have that problem so tend to cook it in stuff like a pasta sauce or lasagne so he's still getting his 5 a day and I'm in his mum's good books, then I just have to boil pasta or rice when he gets in. :lol:

Only because I prefer them :lol: I also have that problem so tend to cook it in stuff like a pasta sauce or lasagne so he's still getting his 5 a day and I'm in his mum's good books, then I just have to boil pasta or rice when he gets in. :lol:

thats why i buy frozen, taes 4 minutes, tastes as good and no peelings to do x

thats why i buy frozen, taes 4 minutes, tastes as good and no peelings to do x

:lol: I have frozen green beans and peas for when I can't be bothered but his lordship turns his nose up at them (if he knows that they're frozen that is) :lol:

I don't think green beans are good for them - other than that that sounds perfect for 3 :)

Mine get greens every night too, doesn't mean I go buy bunny veg all at once when I'm at the supermarket though - I often just pick up a carrot for them because I don't need anything else :)

Its too much carrot that is the problem ;) tough green leafy veg is fine on a daily basis however carrots are high in natural sugars and should only be fed occasionally. I only give the bunnies here a small chunk of carrot a couple of times a week ;)

Thanks, thats useful to know, I'll cut back on the carrots, its the green stuff they love anyway, the carrots are always last to go !!

I don't think green beans are good for them - other than that that sounds perfect for 3 :)

Mine get greens every night too, doesn't mean I go buy bunny veg all at once when I'm at the supermarket though - I often just pick up a carrot for them because I don't need anything else :)

Hmm I thought i had read something about green beans too, but never had a prob with them and they love them... anyone know if they are bad??

Just found this but not sure how reliable it is, I have a more extensive list on my PC at home, I'll try and find a link to it.

Recommended vegetables include:

Asparagus, broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, cabbage, carrots, carrot tops, cauliflower, cauliflower leaves, celery, celery leaves, courgette, cucumber, kale, green beans, parsnip, peas, pea pods, pumpkin, radish tops, rocket, spinach, squash, swede, turnip and water cress.

Recommended fruit includes:

Apple, Apricot, banana, blackberries, blackberry leaves, blueberries, cherries, grapes, kiwi, mango, melon, nectarines, peaches, pears, pineapple, plum, raspberries, raspberry leaves, strawberries, strawberry leaves and tomatoes.

Suitable herbs and wild plants include:

Camomile, chickweed, clover, dandelion, groundsel, mallow, mint, nettle, parsley and plantain.

Poisonous plants to avoid include:

Deadly nightshade, Evergreen trees and shrubs, foxglove, Ivy, peach and plum tree leaves, potato tops, tomato leaves and tulips (and other plants from bulbs).

Another source
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/safefoods.htm

Last edited:
Back