PDA

View Full Version : One Carrot :o(

Julia123
09-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I went to Asda last night on a bunny veg run, while i was there i heard a mum say to her daughter 'do you want to get a carrot for the rabbit?' so she did - one carrot :cry: :cry:

I felt so awful i imagined a poor bunny left on his own with the odd carrot thrown in every now and again...

I may be over reacting but it just made me sad :cry:

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
unless she is like me and doesn't feed carrots often, maybe as a treat? try to think positive, otherwise it will only upset u xxx

Jocelyn
09-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Why's that bad? I'd probably be more worried if they got a load of carrots for the bunny.

Thea & Bobbin
unless she is like me and doesn't feed carrots often, maybe as a treat? try to think positive, otherwise it will only upset u xxx

Same here, Bobbin has carrots as a treat so I either buy a small bag of mini ones or one great big one, they just go off in my fridge otherwise! :lol:

Don't worry, just be thankful bunny was getting something :roll:

Vikki*and*the*buns
I only buy one carrot for the buns a week has i give it mainly has treat, so maybe thats what they were doing?

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Same here, Bobbin has carrots as a treat so I either buy a small bag of mini ones or one great big one, they just go off in my fridge otherwise! :lol:

Don't worry, just be thankful bunny was getting something :roll:

we got the mini ones from asda,... chan something...
they nice. the buns like thier treat x

Sarah86
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
we got the mini ones from asda,... chan something...
they nice. the buns like thier treat x

Chantennay :lol: - they're really nice and seem to last longer than normal carrots. We buy/eat loads of veg so I don't buy it specifically buy it for the buns just give them what we have in.

Julia123
09-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Really! :D

Just the way my mind works then !!! Think its because I give mine greens every night, guess all bunnies are different. Hopefully like you say he's a happy bunny fed on loads of hay and pellets and he was having a treat :D

Glad i posted it now I feel better :D

So do i feed mine too much veg? my three have a bowl (dog bowl size) of spring greens, carrots, green beans and maybe broccoli every night? The fosters have half a big spring green leaf and half a carrot each apart from Ollie mummy who has a big leaf to herself.

Sarah86
09-11-2007, 04:52 PM

Just the way my mind works then !!! Think its because I give mine greens every night, guess all bunnies are different. Hopefully like you say he's a happy bunny fed on loads of hay and pellets and he was having a treat :D

So do i feed mine too much veg? my three have a bowl (dog bowl size) of spring greens, carrots, green beans and maybe broccoli every night? The fosters have half a big spring green leaf and half a carrot each apart from Ollie mummy who has a big leaf to herself.

So long as they have a healthy digestive system and are a healthy weight I very much doubt it.

Mine probably get a bit less than yours per bunny but they are also fed 3-4 different types of hay and they poo for Britain- its the brome its 32% fibre :shock: :lol:

sgprescue
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Its too much carrot that is the problem ;) tough green leafy veg is fine on a daily basis however carrots are high in natural sugars and should only be fed occasionally. I only give the bunnies here a small chunk of carrot a couple of times a week ;)

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Chantennay :lol: - they're really nice and seem to last longer than normal carrots. We buy/eat loads of veg so I don't buy it specifically buy it for the buns just give them what we have in.

trust you to know that lol. they are lovely.
we have frozen veg for us as i don't always have time to prepare fresh veg for nick at 10 at nite lol

xxx

Sarah86
09-11-2007, 05:08 PM
trust you to know that lol. they are lovely.
we have frozen veg for us as i don't always have time to prepare fresh veg for nick at 10 at nite lol

xxx

Only because I prefer them :lol: I also have that problem so tend to cook it in stuff like a pasta sauce or lasagne so he's still getting his 5 a day and I'm in his mum's good books, then I just have to boil pasta or rice when he gets in. :lol:

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Only because I prefer them :lol: I also have that problem so tend to cook it in stuff like a pasta sauce or lasagne so he's still getting his 5 a day and I'm in his mum's good books, then I just have to boil pasta or rice when he gets in. :lol:

thats why i buy frozen, taes 4 minutes, tastes as good and no peelings to do x

Sarah86
09-11-2007, 05:12 PM
thats why i buy frozen, taes 4 minutes, tastes as good and no peelings to do x

:lol: I have frozen green beans and peas for when I can't be bothered but his lordship turns his nose up at them (if he knows that they're frozen that is) :lol:

Jocelyn
09-11-2007, 05:17 PM

I don't think green beans are good for them - other than that that sounds perfect for 3 :)

Mine get greens every night too, doesn't mean I go buy bunny veg all at once when I'm at the supermarket though - I often just pick up a carrot for them because I don't need anything else :)

Julia123
09-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Its too much carrot that is the problem ;) tough green leafy veg is fine on a daily basis however carrots are high in natural sugars and should only be fed occasionally. I only give the bunnies here a small chunk of carrot a couple of times a week ;)

Thanks, thats useful to know, I'll cut back on the carrots, its the green stuff they love anyway, the carrots are always last to go !!

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 05:19 PM
:lol: I have frozen green beans and peas for when I can't be bothered but his lordship turns his nose up at them (if he knows that they're frozen that is) :lol:

lol bet he doesn't guess he he
x

Sarah86
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
lol bet he doesn't guess he he
x

Only when I overboil them and turn them a nice khaki colour- but I can do that with fresh veg too :lol: :lol:

Julia123
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't think green beans are good for them - other than that that sounds perfect for 3 :)

Mine get greens every night too, doesn't mean I go buy bunny veg all at once when I'm at the supermarket though - I often just pick up a carrot for them because I don't need anything else :)

Hmm I thought i had read something about green beans too, but never had a prob with them and they love them... anyone know if they are bad??

Sarah86
09-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Just found this but not sure how reliable it is, I have a more extensive list on my PC at home, I'll try and find a link to it.

Recommended vegetables include:

Asparagus, broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, cabbage, carrots, carrot tops, cauliflower, cauliflower leaves, celery, celery leaves, courgette, cucumber, kale, green beans, parsnip, peas, pea pods, pumpkin, radish tops, rocket, spinach, squash, swede, turnip and water cress.

Recommended fruit includes:

Apple, Apricot, banana, blackberries, blackberry leaves, blueberries, cherries, grapes, kiwi, mango, melon, nectarines, peaches, pears, pineapple, plum, raspberries, raspberry leaves, strawberries, strawberry leaves and tomatoes.

Suitable herbs and wild plants include:

Camomile, chickweed, clover, dandelion, groundsel, mallow, mint, nettle, parsley and plantain.

Poisonous plants to avoid include:

Deadly nightshade, Evergreen trees and shrubs, foxglove, Ivy, peach and plum tree leaves, potato tops, tomato leaves and tulips (and other plants from bulbs).

Another source
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/safefoods.htm

Jocelyn
09-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Just found this but not sure how reliable it is, I have a more extensive list on my PC at home, I'll try and find a link to it.

Another source
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/safefoods.htm

That also lists parsnip.. I've read both are bad :-/ Damn conflicting information!

Julia123
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks Sara :D I may become more adveturous after being reminded of some of the other choices :D

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Only when I overboil them and turn them a nice khaki colour- but I can do that with fresh veg too :lol: :lol:

nick rarely eats my cooking, the beauty of being 99% vegetarian living with a meat eater.
you n dave need to get ya butts into gear and we'll get summink arranged x

Julia123
09-11-2007, 05:36 PM
That also lists parsnip.. I've read both are bad :-/ Damn conflicting information!

:shock: How confusing this is !! :roll:

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 05:38 PM
:shock: How confusing this is !! :roll:

I gave mine parsnip afew weeks ago, they loved it. and are still very much fine x

greyrabbit
09-11-2007, 05:43 PM
i gave my rabbit a big juicy carrot this morning he has not had one in awhile.i only give carrots as a treat to.

Julia123
09-11-2007, 05:47 PM
i just gave my rabbits some lettuce 1 big juicy carrot and pellets this morning.:D :D :D :D my rabbit has not had A carrot for a while so i gave him 1 big carrot this mornig.we just got the big carrots last night.i give carrots as treats to

Now i have definately heard that lettuce is bad !:?

greyrabbit
09-11-2007, 05:49 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :? :? :? :? :? :? :?:shock: it is?

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 05:51 PM
yes, rabbits have trouble digesting it i believe x

greyrabbit
09-11-2007, 05:53 PM
i only gave them a little bit

Julia123
09-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Spring greens are what you want instead :D

Indiechic
09-11-2007, 05:54 PM
mine love spring greens x

Sarah86
09-11-2007, 05:57 PM

It's a common belief unfortunately and many people who don't know otherwise will feed it. Don't worry about it, you know now.

I'd trust the rabbit welfare info, I gave mine a little bit and they don't like it, Charlie looked at me as if I was trying to poison him, he's too suspicious of new foods and only eats tomato because Poppy does (they get half a chery tomato each on rare occassions) :lol:

Amy104
09-11-2007, 06:08 PM
I've given my rabbits small amounts of parsnip often over the years and it's never done any of them any harm. Some websites say they're safe, some say they aren't - I'm confused! Also don't supreme do a Russel Rabbit Mix Parsnip & Beetroot?

cheekytikki
09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
i just bought a lovely bunch or carrots with tops for the buns luckily we eat carrots too so we eat most of the carrots and the bunnies get the tops and the odd bit of carrot

Kipper
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I think parsnip can be given occasionally & then only a little, I also read that about kale & spinach. Spring greens are my bunnies favourite though they do love a grape now & again oh & raisins; they'll do anything for a raisin but again cos of the high sugar content they can only have them as a rare treat.

Wilbur
09-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Mine will also do anythinhg for a raisin. I'm trying to teach them to go back into their shed at night and if they do without me having to chase them round the garden then they get a raisin treat. Tonight they didn't get one,they were very naughty! :roll:

Kipper
09-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Mine will also do anythinhg for a raisin. I'm trying to teach them to go back into their shed at night and if they do without me having to chase them round the garden then they get a raisin treat. Tonight they didn't get one,they were very naughty!

Maybe they just dont realise they have to actually go to the shed without being chased to get the raisin. Try just giving them the raisins once theyre in the shed irrespective of how they go there & then they should cotton on that bed time means rasin time & rush off to the shed voluntarily. anothe suggestion: Put the raisins in a box & shake it all the way to the shed, try rattling the box under their noses & letting them smell whats in there. Good luck :)

Sooz
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Now i have definately heard that lettuce is bad !:?

It depends on the lettuce type ;)

Iceburg and ones with lght coloured, crisp leaves are no good but darker or red lettuces are fine.

I feed ours Italian salad mixes which come in the preprepared packs and never have any trouble....the rabbits love them. I always offer 3 types of fresh veg a day so they may have salad mix, some spring green and some celery or someting similar.

I only feed carrot tops and peel most of the time, an inch of carrot is a rare treat.

ecudc
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi julia,

Beans are bad because the actual been seeds are pretty nasty unless cooked. Even humans shouldn't eat them raw because it affects your ability to digest protein. You can of course take out the seeds.

Parsnips are ok/not ok for the same reason that carrots and fruit is bad.....too much sugar.

Lettuce is bad because of a drug it contains that makes buns sleepy. Dark cultured lettuce is pretty OK but wild lettuce is a nono. I think Iceberg is not recomended because of its high water content and low nutrition. It is also a chemical soak so (like most lettuce) if it is not organic it will contain high levels of nasty stuff....iceberg is the worst though, some farmers use it to clear their fields before putting it to grass.

Sooz
09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I think Iceberg is not recomended because of its might water content and low nutrition. .

Thats exactly it. It goes through them like water and is notorious for causing upset tummies.